The concept of money does not grow on trees...

Why do kids, especially my teen daughter not understand or comprehend the meaning of money does not grow on trees? (And if it did, it would be a long while before anything grows back on my branches, esp. after buying the pair of basketball sneakers you told me you needed right before your first practice today, and now you're asking me for money for a field trip you don't really need to go to and miss school for, that you probably already told everyone you were going to.....) Oh, my withering tree...

mommieGem

Asked by mommieGem at 1:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't see anything wrong with going to a field trip, but that's me. Yeah kids don't get the whole money situation, but I bet it'd make a difference once they get their first job. =) How are the yards looking on your street? Need to be raked at all? /nudge
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:11 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• You can tell her that at this point, if she wants money, she needs to get a job and use her own money for it. My mom did that with me when I was a teenager; I'm glad for it.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:12 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• my dd 15 earns extra money babysitting, and she only gets to pick things todo we dont do all that we want to do in this house we choose the one that is most important to us......like you want the shoes then no field trip because we cant afford both etc......or my dd's choose this week was FFA jacket 64 dollars or a halloween outfit......she choose the FFA coat because it was more important.....give your daughter these chooses like this and it will help her make the right choices as an adult......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• The best way to learn the concept is to have them earn the money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• laughing been there done that......... wish I had a sure fire answer for ya

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Thanks ladies for your help and ideas and wonderful humor. It's even funnier when your teen or tween react to you in an almost shocking manner: thought to themselves, "How could Mom possibly have known that I was trying to trick her into getting what I want. Mom's supposed to be clueless..." I like to joke, "Hey I wrote the book."
    mommieGem

Comment by mommieGem (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Life is hard for everyone right now. Let her work around the house for this money. If she does not then tell her,
    She does not need any of these things.
    jana741

Answer by jana741 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• We made ours get a job and they paid for their extras. They quickly learned the concept of money and spent it wisely and saved for the important things. Aside from the necessities my sons haven't been dependent on us for anything pricey since they were 11th graders. However, sports equipment (including shoes which we always purchased on sale) and school field trips fell under necessities (you need good sport specific shoes for sports and field trips are there for a reason) as did school/sports photos and I knew long before the event that money was needed for those things and made sure that we saved for things well in advance.

tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:00 AM on Oct. 30, 2010