Migraines

Does anyone else get 'that time of the month' migraines? Mine have been getting worse and worse and I'm looking for some suggestions to make it more bearable. I've taken lots of pain killers.

prettypaper

Asked by prettypaper at 1:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Health

• I do and I have yet to find a solution. I am on a daily and "as needed" prescription (Depakote and Imitrex) and my doctor told me if I know exactly what day in my cycle I will get one, I can take an Imitrex when I wake up to try to head it off, but other than that, I have no suggestions. I will bump because I'm curious, too. Usual tricks don't work against hormones. :)
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 2:06 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I kick my husband out and inform him he's taking our child to the park, as well as whatever else needs to get done so I can have some time to myself. Although, my cycle starts on a Friday so it leaves the weekend for me to suffer. Poor him, but makes my life a little bit easier during that time.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:09 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• i find that if I take 2 extra strength advils and have a long quiet hot bath and then have a nap it usually helps with the migraine. I have suffered with migraines since I was 5... they have changed alot over the years but if I can catch it early this remedy usually works well
    tysen722

Answer by tysen722 at 2:40 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Avoid acidic foods like wine, tomato sauces, anything with citric acid in it.. Acid leads to inflammation which causes migraines.. Eat alkalinizing foods instead, almonds, carrots, celery.. You can search acid/alkalanine foods for more info. I get menstrual migraines as well and have found that drinking carrot juice & eating pineapple works best for me.. and mine are severe, complete with vommitng and spending 2-3 days confined to bed with the curtains shut. I don't like drugs and think we could all learn a thing or three from Hippocrates who said "let food be thy medicine"
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 3:01 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• well i just get migraines all the time so idk.. have you ttied pepermint oil on your temples? i take b-12 and fish oil. and ginger. sometimes if its bad if i drink a soda and some greasy food that helps. but i try not to do that lol.. ive been suffering from them for 12 years and been on coutless meds and a few studies and nothing has helped.
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 3:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Mine are tied to the weather - big shifts in barometric pressure bring them on and since we live in the midwest, fall and spring are killer. I have a prescription for Imitrex and if I take one when symptoms first start, I can usually avoid the whole thing. I also find that a strong dose of caffeine can help, although not as well.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:22 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I took beta blockers. Doctors don't want to prescribe them any more. They want you to take pain pills which never really work. I can tell you that the migrains stop when you end menopause. Ask your doctor about those birth control pills that stop your monthly period. I also learned self-hypnosis to control pain. Take a multi-vitamin,
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2010