What is the best vacuum cleaner for hard floors and rug?

My house is mostly hardwood floors, but we do have a large area rug in our living room. I have a Hoover Floor-mate that vacuums and mops the hardwood, but it doesn't pick up all the pet hair and dirt and I can't use it on the carpet. Any suggestions?

tonbookluvr

Asked by tonbookluvr at 2:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I love my dyson and it has a bare floor attachment. We have mostly wood floors and I use it nine million times a day and it does great. And it does just as awesome on the carpet.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• We have the Dyson with the ball. It works great!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 4:27 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• We love our Dyson, but we have a mix of carpet and hard floors. The Dyson is the only full size vacuum we've had that actually does what it's supposed to do. Just be sure to clean the brushes out often, but other than that it doesn't lose suction, and ours is adjustable for carpet or hard floors. I like our Electrolux Ergorapido stick vacuum for day to day cleaning (like the kitchen or bathrooms), because it's small and can get into corners better.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• The Dyson is probably the best way to go, if you have the money to spend on it.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:21 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I have an Oreck which I love. Great on hardwood and carpet. A plus is that it's very light weight. Best vacuum I've ever had.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I agree with SweetLuci - Oreck, well worth the $$.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Oreck is definitely well worth every penny! We used to go through a vacuum a year until we got the Oreck. It has been through some very harsh use over the last eight years, and was my parents for at least ten before that. It has never needed work, and still runs beautifully. It by far has the best suction of any vacuum I've ever tried. If it dies, we are getting another Oreck, and we don't care how much they cost.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 1:05 AM on Oct. 31, 2010