At what age is SIDS no longer something to worry about??

My SS is almost 6 months old, and one morning I woke to find him sleeping on his tummy. I was so nervous about SIDS that I immediately turned him over and check to see if he was still breathing. I don't even know how long he was like that...so should I still be worried?

stalyon68

Asked by stalyon68 at 5:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 12 months and the risk of SIDS is gone... Til their 1st birthday.

Generally doctors will tell you that if they're rolling over on their own to not be concerned, but still do not put them on their tummy to sleep. Still keep things out of the crib, and don't let blankets or toys stuff up the sleeping area either. Just because your kid is mobile, doesn't mean there isn't a risk for SIDS anymore.

Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:00 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• About 48% of SIDS victims die before three months of age. Another 37% die before 6 months of age. 1% of all SIDS occur beyond one year of life. African American and Native American babies are two to three times more likely to die then Caucasian babies.

Gender also matters: males are 50% more likely to die of SIDS then females. This male excess persists in all developed countries with different medical infrastructure and different racial mixes. There typically is no tell-tale sound or indication of a struggle. SIDS can strike with a fury that baffles even medical experts. In many cases babies seem determined to die and cannot be revived, even when someone immediately and correctly administers CPR.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:04 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• generally when they are capable of rolling over and lifting their head the risk in minimized.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 8:07 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• my sisters baby dies o sids at22 monthes so amost 2, and he was a male. But also, they can sleep on their bellies as long as they know how to roll over! You cant preventrolling safley! If you put a pad that keep them from rolling, you take the risk, that theys till roll, and the pad smothers them, If he is rolling, realx
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• THE DAY THEY ARE BROUGHT INTO THE WOULD THE BIBLE SAYS CAST ALL YOUR CARE UPON HIM.. I DID'NT WORRY I WENT TO SLEEP AND RESTED WELL!!!!
    LACEY122

Answer by LACEY122 at 2:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If baby rolls onto thier tummy themselves they are ok is what my pedi said to me when my son started rolling to his tummy at 3.5 months to sleep. I was worried. She said as long as they are doing it thier risk is minimal. Im looking at my healthy 16 month old thats slept on his tummy since 3.5 months cause he likes it that way and rolls there himself :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 7:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• SIDS is also more likely to occur in male infants of mothers who received little or no prenatal care, lower incomed generally. I had to take a class on SIDS when I worked in an infant room at a daycare. The instructor told us that after a year the risk is pretty much gone. They also say to always put a baby on his back to sleep and to move him back over onto his back if he rolls, I'm thinking at some point a parent has to sleep and can't sit next to the child and move them all night long. Heck my mom put all of us to sleep on our tummies and we are all still here.
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• i still worry about it at any age
    kathy067j

Answer by kathy067j at 1:35 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• from birth to 1 year it is SIDS
    after 1 year to I believe close to 18 years it is SUDC (sudden unidentified death in childhood)
    As an adult it is called SADS (sudden adult Death syndrome)
    and in some cases it is just called natural causes.
    clusterkid

Answer by clusterkid at 4:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2011