How is the Bible not like any other book?

its an ancient tome written in ancient times by men who lacked a knowledge of the world and education mankind has today.

There is no proof it was written by a god other than by the word of these ancient men. If someone tried the same in today's world, they'd be carted away.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 5:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Soyousay ... You still didn't tell me where I said someone didn't exist. I am really curious about who you are claiming I said didn't exist.

So then, do you agree that ALL religious Holy books are TRUE because they were inspired by God? If it holds true for one, it holds true for ALL.

What I was trying to get across to you is that just because someone claims to be inspired by God doesn't mean they are. Serial killers have claimed that God inspired/told them to kill ... does that mean that God REALLY inspired/told the to murder innocent people?

Do you get it yet? Claiming to be inspired by God doesn't make it so.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• by men who lacked a knowledge of the world and education mankind has today.--op

sorry, girl, but that's where ya lost me. of course something written by men thousands of years prior to the present wouldn't have knowledge or the education available today. your own grandpappy could've written something at age 25, that wouldn't reflect the intelligence available to us in 2010!
    to answer your question..to you and those like you (and apparently, some xtians), it is just like any other book. (sad reflection on some xtians, IMO). to those of us who hold its meanings to heart, it is BIG. and i do believe it is inspired of God. and yes, i CAN write something right now that would be 'inspired of God'..its the intention of the heart of the writer to the reader. in that respect, ANY well-written book could be a hit with any reader that is open to its contents.
    so give me back my Bible, and go read Cosmo, or something. its a win-win.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:11 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I have often said that I could write a book now and claim that God inspired me to do it but that doesn't mean God did. I tend to upset people when I say that. *shrug*
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:15 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I have often said that I could write a book now and claim that God inspired me to do it but that doesn't mean God did.

But just because you have not been inspired by God to write does not mean that others have not. I could write a book about George Washington- does that mean he never existed because I wrote about him? I guess I just do not follow your logic.

As far as the Bible not being valid because of when it was written- does that mean that modern man are the only ones capable of writing a valid book? Are we just so much more advanced than say- the Greeks when they built what is now Athens without modern machinery?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:22 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• No, the Bible doesn't have an author on it, but everyone has their version of it. There are at least 13 different versions of the Bible. That's something I don't see with any other books except cook books and self help guides.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:03 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• You are correct, both the OT and the NT were compiled by many people over thousands of years. In the Jewish tradition the stories were handed down orally. No one even knows who truly wrote the books in the gospels of the NT. The only interesting part of it is the history it contains. And I believe all these stories are based on far older ones that we now term myths
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:05 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• i like your Qstn, i respect your comment but i probably dont agree 100% with it , kind of philosophic coment that could never have a right answer but could help to undsertand and keep ppl searching for what is better for humanbeen
    i red Bibble as it was mentioned in Quran ( that we have to respect AND believe in other Books ) so i did

caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 6:09 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Are you recycling? You asked this question recently- I guess every once in a while you just need that little boost that you can only get from questioning (and in some cases belittling) someone else'e beliefs....enjoy it!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Just because Jewish myths were collected and a binding put on them doesn't make them any more real or true than myths of other ancient cultures. Those other myths are still around as well, you know...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• The Bible has been a important influence in the lives of millions of people for thousands of years. No one has to read it, so it shouldn't bother you if people choose to have and read a Bible.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2010