How long does it take you child to finish a sandwich?

It takes my dd AGES to finish her meal! She takes so tiny bites and chews and keeps them in her mouth forever. Yesterday I actually cleaned the whole house while she was busy eating. Sometimes I feel bad to leave her on her own on the dining table, but I am not going to just sit there to keep her company and watch her eat for 90 minutes. I've got stuff to do. I gave up rushing her, because it doesn't do anything besides annoy her.
Anyone else has this problem? Some days she misses out on all the good stuff. By the time she finished we can't go out anymore because it's raining. She can't play because her friend left again and so forth ...

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 7:09 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have the same problem with my 4 year old granddaughter who lives with me and I have raised her since she was 8 months old. Some days it could take her a couple of hours or she could take a couple of bites and say that she will come back later. Then I have to tell her that if she wants that sandwich, she has to sit there and eat it now. She has told me that she doesn't want it anymore and before I know it, she is out of her chair and throws the plate and all in the trash! My biggest problem is that her 2 aunts live in the house and her mom just moved back home 5 months ago, and they all would rather let her get down, go do what she wants and come back to eat alittle more because they don't want to hear her cry or scream at them. I keep telling them that they all have to do the same thing (my way) or we will never nip this in the bud! I just a dump mom so what do I know!! I only raised 3 of my own, right!?!?
    yomomma1A

Answer by yomomma1A at 7:25 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Depends on what kind of sandwich it is.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 7:17 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• depends on appetite and how hard it is to chew for them
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My granddaughter is like that! The family eats together and then she finishes while mom and dad clean up the kitchen. They keep chatting with her and let her eat at her own pace. I would let her be and just calmly explain about the things she might miss out on and see if that makes any difference. Sometimes you might have to pack her lunch if you have to be somewhere. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I only work part time, so I'm home most of the time with my little man. He absolutely refuses to sit still at the table (he used to wriggle out of the high chair, until I decided it was too much of a hazard for him to fall.) So he eats his meals on the couch, on the floor, on the coffee table, usually while he eats or plays. My concern at this age is more that he'll eat enough, than that he'll sit still and eat or eat quickly. Sometimes he'll take an hour or two to eat a balogna sandwich. Sometimes he'll finish it in 5 minutes. Depends on what he wants to do. Good luck with your LO.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• my daughter went thru this slow eating phase around 2-3. she is 4 now and eats quicker. yesterday she ate a pb&j sandwhich faster than i could sit down and join her. it was only a half of one though, she's never had a huge appetite. but before, she would purposely keep food in her cheek and take FOREVER to eat it. it was very irritating!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It really doesn't matter, if she were hungry she would eat. just give her smaller portions.
    I was never hungry growing up, I just wanted to play. I did not eat much at all, until I got out
    of the house, and got married!!!!
    Adm.Assistant

Answer by Adm.Assistant at 10:00 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Cut them in up in sugar cube size and just give her 2 on her plate. When she finishes that then giver her 2 more ….etc. until all are gone. Just a little psychological mind game. =]

I do agree that this can create a problem later if she doesn’t out grow it before she enters school age to where they just have be done eating lunch by a certain time.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2010