Where to buy castor oil?

Can I buy castor oil at a grocery store or Walmart? I've heard you can add a few tablespoons to juice, like OJ, and it wont hurt you or baby. I just really want to jump start my labor. I've tried all the other "at home" remedies and I'm still only dialated to 4cm. Well... I guess I could be dialated more because it's been 1 week since I was last checked. I"ll be 39 weeks on Monday and would really like to have this little guy soon. He's my 3rd child and this is the loooongest I've been pregnant. I'm kinda scared to do the castor oil thing but I figure if I drink just a bit it shouldn't cause too much diahrrea, right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They told me you have to drink just the castor oil straight and then you have to walk! I did that with my first one because I was so big that I just couldn't stand being pregnant any more! They told me to turn the bottle up and take a good drink, and that it wouldn't hurt you or the baby. We went to a walking track and when I started walking, I kept stopping because my stomach kept tighting up. I told my doctor what I did and he just laughed at me and said that I just didn't walk long enough and steady enough for it to work. I think also the reason it didn't work for me was because I had gained like 75 lbs and I was so uncomfortable to begin with and walking was not easy for me, that if I could have walked it would have worked. I bought mine at a drug store, but Walmart probably carries it too. Good Luck and maybe it will work for you. ( I hadn't even started to dilate when I tried it)
    yomomma1A

Answer by yomomma1A at 7:35 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• There are a lot of risks with castor oil. I wouldn't do it if I were you. Not only can you have diarrhea, it can cause the baby to distress and pass meconium. Then there is the concern of you getting dehydrated because of the diarrhea. And after all that it might not even work.
    Dilation means nothing and no one has been pregnant forever. You have made it 39 weeks! What is one or two more??
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 7:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I tried it when I was like 39 weeks and it didn't really start anything except my bowels!! I think I got it at a drugstore like Rite Aid or CVS. I did feel all nice and cleaned out though for when I did go into labor the next week...
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 9:18 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Castor oil's main job is to make you go #2. Between dehydration and diarrhea your uterus will contract. IF you are lucky the contractions will get regular. You run the risk of baby having a BM in utero and inhaling it into it's lungs which will then require antibiotics. Is it really worth it?? You've made it this far why not let baby decide when it's ready??
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• walgreens. It did nothing for me. I didnt even poop either. And its like 6$ for just 4oz too. I chased it with orange juice. And it was NOT all nasty like everyone complains about. When you burp after, it tastes bad so keep a drink with you or you'll be running to the kitchen for something. But really... it does nothing.
    LovesHerKiddos

Answer by LovesHerKiddos at 11:20 AM on Oct. 29, 2010