Would you or Do you really do...

the penance a priest gives you during confession?

outside a fear of god, who'd know?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:59 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• When I was a practicing Catholic I did the penance simply because that is what I was taught. The sins were forgiven by the priest and then we said a few prayers. Sort of a thank you, maybe, for the forgiveness or actually what "confirmed" the forgiveness.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well, I am not Catholic or Orthodox, but I think if someone really believes in their religion, they would follow it's practices, not just pretend. What would be the point in being a part of a religion, if you didn't believe in and follow it's practises?

Amlinich

Answer by Amlinich at 9:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• When I was Roman Catholic I did the penance I was told to do by the priest. Now i know that no works of mine will get me either forgiven or into heaven.
    Zanjea

Answer by Zanjea at 12:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Amlinich... lip service to make others happy like over-zealous family who shove it down your throats. (EXAMPLE)
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 9:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I'm not Catholic so I would not do it.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:12 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I am not catholic..
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes, I do, and besides God, I would know.

Does it really matter who else would know? God is the one we should be concerned about. We aren't supposed to conform to, or please, anyone else.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 1:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• no, but then im not Catholic. i dont believe Priests (or any other clergyman/woman) has any right telling me what God wants me to do to be forgiven... if that is what penance is, sorry if im wrong!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• "...God is the one we should be concerned about. We aren't supposed to conform to, or please, anyone else."

Then why worry about what a god thinks either? If it turns out we're all wrong about there being gods and afterlives, then its all alotta worry about nothing. What we do know for 100% certain is in the present life we have and thats all we know for sure.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 AM on Oct. 30, 2010