Do you all visit the cemetaries where your loved ones are buried?

My mom goes at least once a month to our family cemetary just to check on things, and put fresh flowers on the graves of our family that has passed on. I don't go. For me, visiting the cemetary is really hard, so I just don't go. Is this horrible on my part?

mommy11260

Asked by mommy11260 at 8:04 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It has been 25 years since my died unexpectedly and for the first at least 10 years, I went regularly and sat there to speak the words I never got a chance to say, I also put fresh flowers and cleaned his plaque, it gave me comfort, it gave me peace. Now after 25 years I still go but on special occasions<, his birthday and holidays were I miss him most./p>
    It is not horrible in your part not to go, I do it because like I said it brings me peace and comfort, but I probably wouldn't if it had the opposite effect. It is ok hun, just keep those loved ones that are gone alive in your heart and memory.

Answer by older at 8:10 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• No, it is not horrible. The memories of loved ones live in our minds and hearts. It can be very difficult to visit the cemetary.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:15 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My mom died last year. I lost my grandmother and two sisters at a young age. I guess because I was raised going on a regular basis it really doesn't bother me.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:30 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I don't. I know that my loved ones aren't there, so I don't go. I have the hope of seeing them all again some day, and that's what I look forward to.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• No.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 8:35 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I go to my dad's grave a couple times a year, and my grandparents (who raised me) about the same.
    Both are w/i 10 miles of my house.

However, every day I have some thought or memory of them, so they are far from forgotten.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 8:41 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My loved ones are not buried here but yes when I go back, I go and visit all the graves and put flowers on them. I see it as a sign of respect, love and caring. But I do respect that some people have issues with it and just cannot do it. Nothing wrong with that.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 8:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Not as often as I'd like, because I live in another state.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 8:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• nope , i did til my dad passed away , Then it seemed to make me feel worse do i stopped going
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:12 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I'm not big on visiting cemeteries simply because the people I miss aren't "there" anyway. I don't find it hard or horrible.  I do go very occassionally.   My husband is very big on it. He goes once a month like clock work. He has another family member who considers it her personal mission to garden on the plots. Rather obsessive about it if you ask me, but she feels it is her duty.  

Whatever you need to do for your own peace of mind is fine.  It is no reflection on you or how much you loved the departed.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:17 AM on Oct. 29, 2010