Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

can he get her ssn from the social security office?

the bio-dad of my oldest child asked me for her social today and i said no. i have a feeling he wants to use it to claim her on his taxes. he has seen my child twice since her first birthday, and her fourth birthday just passed. he pays child support by court order but he doesnt make any attempt to see her. therefore i am not that forthcoming about giving out her social to him. he said okay, ill just go to the social security office. he is not listed on the birth certificate as her father, nor does she have his last name. however, when the state did a dna test he came back as the father. if he takes that record with him (he's probably too stupid to remember that, though) will they give him the number? i have no idea why he wants it and it's worrying me a little. okay.. a lot. :(


Asked by tnm786 at 8:16 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Relationships

Level 43 (159,608 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • My husband is on my son's birth certificate and had it with him and went to pick up my son's card from the SS building and was told they couldn't give it to him. They called my house and had me verify I was me and all my childs info. They told me (with him standing there) that they can't give it to one parent with out both parent's permission or court documents stating one parent has custody and can receive that child's personal info. She said they do it that way because with ID you can get the birth certificate from the healt dept. and if they just gave out SS numbers/cards they parent would have all they needed to get the child and run.

    I think you should be OK, but I would call them and ask. They maybe able to put something in the computer about not letting that person get that info.

    Answer by cassey.e at 10:22 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • No, then he cannot get her SSN from the social security office. He can only do it if he is on her birth certificate, so you should be good. They are very cautious who they give SS cards out too. If he cannot prove that he is her father, then there is no way they will give it to him. He HAS to be on the birth certificate, because i don't think there is any other way for him to prove he is the biological dad without it. I think you're safe.


    Answer by samurai_chica at 8:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • If he is on her birth cirtificate, then yes. He certainly can get a copy of her SSN. Make sure to do your taxes as early as possible. This happened to a friend of mine last year. Her ex claimed their DD when he never ever see's her. It did get resolved though, but i am not sure how.

    Just make sure to file ASAP, like within the first few weeks of January. This would really help you out. If he says anything about claining her, let him know that he can get in trouble with the IRS if he is claiming someone he should not be claiming. He could owe them lots of money & end up screwing himself if he does that.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 8:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • It should be stated somewhere in your custody papers who claims her on taxes. Normally speaking, if you get child support on the child, you get to claim them every year. If he got her number & claimed her, and it is in the papers that you get to claim her, you could take him back to court and get it straightened out.

    Answer by mommy11260 at 8:27 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • I don't even think he can get it with your consent, you would have to give it to him. Withouth a birth certificate with him on it, he shouldn't be able to get it. We had to get a new SS card for my oldest daughter after we moved and I had to take in her birth certificate, my photo id and my daughter to get it.

    Answer by scout_mom at 8:46 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • If he hired a private eye or someone like that under the table (no records) they can search public records and talk to the right people who will share that information (since it means nothing to them, just a name and number on a paper). Things aren't as secure as we like to think. If someone wants to find you nowadays, they can, unless you go hide in the Himalayas or some remote part of the world.

    Answer by Zoeyis at 8:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • Call the SS office and ask someone there. I would think if he's not on the birth certificate then he would not be able to get her number. They don't just give that info out to anyone! Also, like someone else said, I would file my taxes ASAP to avoid any trouble on your end. Maybe also make his ass go back to court so the judge can order he can not claim your dd on his taxes. Good luck momma!

    Answer by michelle121003 at 9:39 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • this site is the social security site... i would call them and ask them yourself... my sons father was not on the birth certificate either and was able to obtain one...

    Answer by BobbieJo286 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • he's not on the birth certificate, so does that mean i dont have reason to worry?

    and he probably would be in big shit if he tried to claim her. the irs actually sued him back in july for not paying. whenever he gets his taxes, they go straight to her because he owes thousands in backpay. and beside any of that, he has no business claiming her seeing as how she lives under mine and hubby's roof, we take care of her and his montly check is just that, a check. all he is to her is a piece of paper, and that's his own fault.

    Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:21 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • okay, and i dont know if this makes a difference but in the court's eyes i am the custodial parent and he is the non-custodial. so i would assume if he wanted to get her social he would have to get my consent first?

    Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2010