Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Name change, legalities?

So, when I got married, I went to the ss office, and filled out a card for a new social security number. I changed my name on the forms so that my maiden name was my middle name, dropped the middle name, and took my husband's last name.

My in-laws keep telling me that to legally change it so that that this is my real name, I have to go to court and talk to a judge and all that. Is that true? I was issued a new social security card with my new name, first, maiden, then hsband's last name.

Answer Question

Asked by BisketLiss at 8:22 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Relationships

Level 18 (4,943 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • No...LOL! It's not true at all! Maybe if you want to change your name for no reason, but if it's because of definitely don't need to go to court. All you have to do is show the SS office your marriage certificate, do the paper work...then you need to go to the DMV & get a new license & inform everyone you do any business with about your name change.

    The SS office will get the word in about your new last name to all the authorities.


    Answer by samurai_chica at 8:30 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • your social security card is prof of your legal name change...


    Answer by samurai_chica at 8:31 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • Your mil is right, in some cases. A name change due to marriage is an exception to that rule. When I was married, I did what you did - got a new SS card, then changed my driver's license and everything else after that.

    My husband did not like his given name, since it was the same as a mis-behaving celebrity, so he changed his a few years after we were married. He did have to go before a judge (on paper, not in person - his lawyer did that) and have it approved before he could legally change it. He has many copies of the judge's declaration, since he needs to use that as proof that his name change was legal. It makes a mess of everything - like applying for loans, getting a child's birth certificate, etc.

    Answer by at 8:31 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • You can change ur name at the SS office with the proof of ur marriage license. I change my last name to my ex husband last name when I was married to him and I didn't have any problems. Now if my ex-husband was to change his name I would have to say yes to court thing for him but as far as a women marring to the guy and want to carry on his last name is find in to that at the SS office. Besides the SS is the proof of ur new legal name change any ways and u don't have anything to worry about.

    Answer by andmaef28 at 8:48 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • It's not the last name part I'm worried about. It's the middle name part. Can I legally just change my middle name to my maiden name when I get married? I thought it was a fairly common practice, but my in-laws keep telling me otherwise, and I'm pregnant now, so I want to make sure the right name goes on the birth certificate when the baby is born.

    Comment by BisketLiss (original poster) at 8:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • Your maiden name will go on the child's BC. You did everything correct, my mom made her maiden name her middle "legal" name and my BC is correct.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 11:01 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

  • I would call the powers that be to check on it, but from what I understand when you get married you don't have to go through all that to change it.
    wondering the same thing myself, when we got married I kept my name, but now thinking of changing it to my husbands. I have to find out what steps to take myself-

    good luck with it all!

    Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.