does your child's school allow holiday parties and bday celebrations?

my school just banned all fun and festive. i am a little sad as my youngest didnt get to experience it like her older brothers but not too sad.

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• The schools have to be careful about not offending anyone due to religion or culture. Holidays like Halloween and Christmas might not be celebrated by every child in the class. As for birthdays, I think there is always the issue with allowing treats when some moms bring them and others don't. Hard to explain to a six year old why we celebrated "Becky's" birthday with cupcakes but we didn't have cupcakes for "Tommy's".

BTW......my son's birthday is in the summer so he never got to celebrate at school.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 8:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• They allow you to bring in a birthday treat to share. Holiday parties are up to the teachers. My sons teacher doesn't seem to do them... It's kinda sad.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• We just had a fall festival last night. It was fun. The kids got to wear their costumes..they had a costume contest, danced, did fall pictures, had inflatable, we did bingo, lots of fun
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• my son's school no longer allows bday parties due to allergies but today they are having a Book talk presentation in place of Halloween and are allowing the same type of treats to be bought in that would be for bday parties. : (
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:20 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Our middle school makes it up to the teachers so they don't do parties anymore. Our girl scout girls love the fact that they still get holiday parties with the troop since they don't at school.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My kids go to a private, religious school. They learn about our holidays and American holidays (Thanksgiving, MLK, Presidents) but no parties with lots of sugar and silliness. They celebrate Shabbat each Friday. On Purim they get to dress up and attend the whole school celebration. On Passover the school has a mock seder. Birthday treats are now silly bands, pencils and stickers, more due to kosher issues and allergies.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:52 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2010