Do you give to panhandlers?

I used to, but stopped after reading an article somewhere that they make more a year than someone making minimum wage. If I want to help someone in need for food, I'll donate to the local food bank.

Placed here because I'm not really sure where it would fit in.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 8:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I sometimes will. I look at their shoes, I know it sounds silly, but for me if they don't have good shoes then I am willing to help them. I also don't just give them money, I have given them donuts and crackers, things like that. If they are really in need they will take the food, if they don't then I won't give to them.

For me I usually go with my gut!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• No. I donate to charities and organizations that help these people.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:01 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Depends. If they are on the corner everday no, if they are at a grocery store, I ask them what they like and bring them non parishable food.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes. I have a heart and will help anyone I can. I know that is a shocker since I am an evil and greedy Conservative Republican.lol I will give what the person does with it is on them.
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 11:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes I do, when I can. I usually tell them flat out to use it for whatever will make them feel better. I don't think giving lectures along with charity is appropriate. If the person is addicted to drugs, certainly you could offer assistance to get them to treatment if they want it, but if not, I don't care if they use it for drugs quite honestly.
    zenith15

Answer by zenith15 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• nope.

btw you can never go wrong with the "Just for Fun" section. Thats a good Misc area
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:56 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes i do. I believe in karma, I would want the help if i ever need it. I also dont seem to care why they are there or if they more money, I tell my kids if you see someone needs help . You help them.
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:03 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Not every time, but if I have some spare dollars in my purse or where ever I'll give it. Not every person on the side of the street makes more than we do. I think that those are the "professional panhandlers". All I know is, at the end up the day I go home to my clean, warm house and eat a great meal with my family. The person standing outside in all sorts of weather wearing a blanket most likely doesn't. :(
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 9:03 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• at the grocery store and I have not seen them bfore is what I ment to say...

Too early and I can't have coffee today!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:03 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• No I donate to charities and we don't have any here. We took a work-vacation to Atlanta earlier this year and they were all over. We did a lot of walking because the hotel was close to so much but I hated going out alone, it creeps me out to have people eye-ball me and then follow me asking for money. Thankfully, the hotel had a couple of resturants inside and a few shops so I stayed in all day. Hubby was at a conference and I was writing at the hotel.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:04 AM on Oct. 29, 2010