Going on a LOONG trip, advice needed!

We are being crazy and decided that we are going to make the trek up to my fathers for Thanksgiving this year......12 hours away! Our son will almost be 4 months when we go, hes a pretty good, mellow baby but i would still like some suggestions on how to make the trip the most comfortable for my son.

Also, hes in an infant carrier right now and im thinking of buying a convertible seat before the trip because he seems uncomfortable in his seat now, any suggestions for comfortable, safe, seats? I was thinking of the Recaro.

mrsdeiser

Asked by mrsdeiser at 6:07 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Travel

• When we go on long trips with baby, I sit in the back next to the baby. If you are bfing then you can just lean over and bf while driving. I didn't like convertibles with such little babies, I could never get them to sit right in the car. The baby was always floppin around.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 6:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• When my son was that age we went about 10 hours away from home. The biggest thing that helped us was doing most of our driving at night. He slept all the way there and back.
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 6:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• LOL and you think it's going to be hard now. Personally, I took my son for car rides all the time, so as he got older, he loved being in the car. At this age, the only real issue you may have is not being able to hold him. Make sure to take breaks so you can all stretch out. And sitting in the backseat is a wonderful idea. LOL I miss that age sometimes, but it's fun to have a toddler. Who by the way is a seasoned traveler :))
    ethan0530

Answer by ethan0530 at 7:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My son went on his first trip when he was two weeks old, 20hours! When he was 13mo we took that 20 hour trip again. he was in a front facing seat so he could see everything going on around him. Plenty of toys, lots of small snacks and juices. and every time I had to stop for gas I would let him out to walk around. He was pretty good about sleeping in the car, wich was good and bad, because he would be wide awake at night when we got to the hotel and kept me up. Also my son likes music so as long as some tunes were going he was good. good luck and drive safe
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:13 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• We are always traveling and my baby is now 22 months and finally rides better. most of the time she would just cry for hours and nothing would make her happy. traveling at night helped but come the next day you are tired and your kids are ready to stay awake and play. i'd also make sure we stop every 2 hours just to get baby out of car seat.
    travelingmom321

Answer by travelingmom321 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2008