Gassy baby.

My 7 week old has constant gas problems. We use gas drops since all he did with gripe water was spit it out. We bicycle his legs, tummy pats, bend his knees to his chest, bounce him across the knees and the airplane...all things our pedi told us to do. But our little man still has gas. He is breastfed and although I have cut out gassy food, I'm preparing to start an elimination diet tomorrow

What else can I do?

SapphireMomma

Asked by SapphireMomma at 8:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Burp him in the middle of feedings and then again after.
    PerfectLove910

Answer by PerfectLove910 at 8:59 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I burp him every 5 minutes during a feeding...plus at the end. Thanks though.
    SapphireMomma

Comment by SapphireMomma (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I had two very gassy babies... Unfortunaley unless its a formula intolerance only time will fix it. The only other thing I can think of, an ounce of warm water will help push the gas through, or chamomile tea, even a warm water bottle on their tummy. Have you tried switching formulas?
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• What are you planning on eliminating? Dairy is a good place to start. Does he ever gulp, choke or gag while nursing, or pull off frequently, do you spray milk when he pulls off, that sort of thing? If so, part of the problem could be over active letdown- www.kellymom.com has different tips on handling OAL. The things that worked best for my OAL were block feeding- one breast first for three feeds, then the other first for three feeds, and leaning back and positioning DD more on top of me/the breast rather than in front of/under like in a cradle position and letting gravity do its thing.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Oh that's right you are nursing..
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• preacherskid: We have an appointment on Monday with a LC to help correct a forceful letdown. As of yesterday I started doing more block feeding (I had to do this in the beginning with him.) and I'm giong to see if that helps. We also are doing a modified cradle position. He likes to sit up and look around while eating, so he is basically on his back on a pillow, propped up so he's at a 45* angle...if that makes sense. I know he's getting plenty, he has at least 10 wet diapers a day, and usually at least one dirty.
    SapphireMomma

Comment by SapphireMomma (original poster) at 8:27 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Oh, and yes, I am planning on eliminating dairy first. I have been limiting myself over the past few weeks but I am going to completely cut it out now. Thanks for your advice.

mlmsm928: I actually have used a warm compress on his belly to see if it helps (while bicycling his legs). It doesn't seem to do much besides make him mad lol. But I will try it again and see if I get different results.
    SapphireMomma

Comment by SapphireMomma (original poster) at 8:30 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• When DD was a newborn my letdown was strong enough that I had to actually put her on top of me when I was engorged- that was the only way she wouldn't get choked. As she got older she just did that naturally when she needed to. Also as she got better head/neck control she was able to sit upright with me leaning back just a little, and she could handle the initial blast of milk lol- I had it bad, and it didn't adjust until later than normal :/ Yours should get better once your supply regulates more, probably around three months or so.

Caffeine and dairy were DD's other gas triggers- once we cut those and we got the OAL under control her gas cleared up very quickly :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:29 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I was going to say CUT OUT ALL dairy. Worked for me, my last three kids were/are allergic to it via breastmilk. Other foods like beans and tomatoes would bother my daughter. Remember that it takes about 2 weeks before ALL the dairy is out of your system, so then you'll know. Good luck
    4heartbeats

Answer by 4heartbeats at 3:24 AM on Dec. 20, 2010