Wasnt this so rude?

I was talking and had a good feeling my family members weren't listening. No eye contact or acknowledgment to anything I was saying, so I tested it by stopping in mid-sentence. It was quiet for a few seconds, then they looked at me and started talking about something completely different.

I was pretty pissed. They said they were listening, and when I asked what I said they couldn't really tell me much nor noticed that I stopped mid-sentence.

They talk nonstop forever and I have to just be their sounding board but they can't be bothered to listen to something I say.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 9:03 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• OMG, this happens to me all the time. I swear, some of my friends only like me because i let them talk my head off. But, the second i try to say something....they pay no attengion. I wondered for a long time if i have some kind of social problem, because i am always the one listening & not the one talking. My DH says that i am the normal one and that those heavy talkers are just selfish "look at me people". That's what he calls people who HAVE to be in the middle of everything & are always the ones gabbing.

I honestly only have a small handfull of freinds & family that actually listen to what i have to say. Most people are too busy talking about themselves to care about what anyone else has to say.

I absolutely HATE it when i am talking & I realize that i might as well be talking to a wall. It happens to me more often than i would like it to.....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:18 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes My people seem to not listen to me. Unless its all about fun
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:05 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes! Some people only like to hear themselves talk.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 9:09 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes I agree totally. If they are watching t.v. or doing something to distract what u r saying. Then I would either go to the t.v. and shut it off or stand up in the middle of the living room or somewhere and exprience how u feel about what going on and how they don't seem to care what u r trying to say and walk off.
    andmaef28

Answer by andmaef28 at 9:09 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My hubby does this to me all the time... and what makes it even worse, is that when I ask him what I'm talking about, he can somehow remember some key words... it's like having a photogenic memory, but auditory- haha. But when I'm talking, he's reading the paper, using his phone or just in general very distracted. It's annoying but sometimes I just have to laugh.
    TSJEN

Answer by TSJEN at 9:15 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• sounds like my family.
    I just deal with it the best I can, but most of my conversations happen with others.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:20 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My Autistic sons do that, TSJEN.
    They appear to not be paying attn, and then can tell you alot of what you said. Not always, but its amazing sometimes. You would swear they didn't hear a word while looking off in another direction or doing an activity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• On the contrary, Anon, as true as that could be for some ladies, I actually get to say very little in my house. With an ADHD hubby and Autistic twins, all I get is an earful ALL day long. I rarely get a word in and when I do I get interupted all the time.

I know you were probly trying to be snarky, but that was actually a good guess. Just not in my case :)
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 9:21 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I have the same problem , my parents growin up and to this day, are horrible at listening. Its pretty bad when your talkin to them, and two seconds they ask me a question, and I just was talkin about it, lol There lucky I love them so much haha. I have a few friends that drive me nuts sometimes because they will talk and talk about there life, and the second I say one thing, I swear I get no response :( Its like the song I want to talk about me, by toby keith lol I swear that song is about me haha
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 10:20 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• maybe you talk too much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Oct. 29, 2010