Fluid on my baby's brain..

I went to the doctor today and during the ultrasound my doctor said that our sons head is three weeks bigger than it should be. I have to go to a ultrasound specialist. She said that that there is more fluid on his brain than normal. Has this happened to anyone else before?? HELP~!!!!!

Sweetie1202

Asked by Sweetie1202 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• First thing you need to do is: CALM DOWN, take a deep breath and dont panic.

OB/GYNs always, and i mean ALWAYS make panic. And especially those doctors should know it better. They just think "its better to be safe than sorry"... but most of the time all they do is to scare the mommy-to-be. I went through the same.

My OB told me that my daughters belly is way too big, she is too small. something is wrong and blah blah. I was so in panic i called my midwife, i was freaking out and scared to death (specially because ive had a miscarriage 7yrs ago). She told me, that those damn OBs always say worse than it actually is.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• So before you worry, please wait until you can go to this special ultrasound. I went there too and the OB there told me, that my daughter is just small, but she is in a perfect condition and healthy. My husband, his mother and his aunt are very tall and skinny, of course my child is going to be skinny too ;) ... So the OB at the special ultrasound told me there is nothing to worry and I wish you good luck that you will get to hear the same.

m.robertson811

• I have a friend that this happened to (a long time ago her daughter just turned 21), it was a problem for her she is mentally handicapped from it. Mind you this was 21 years ago, I don't know if now there is anything that they can do about it? I wish you the best of luck. So did you see the specialist already? If she told you there was more fluid on the brain than normal did she tell you your best coarse of action?

smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 6:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My baby didn't have excess fluid around the brain, but at our 20 week ultrasound, we were told that the baby had a chroroid plexus cyst. I was SOOO freaked out because of all the stuff I saw online. I guess this doesn't indicate a problem necessarily, but we had to have another ultrasound at 24 weeks to see if it went away. It did, and everything's fine, but it was the most worrisome 4 weeks of my life!
    K_Coleman

Answer by K_Coleman at 7:53 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• What the OB said was that his head was bigger than it should be. And the spot where the fluid drains is bigger than it should be. I dont go back to the specialist till Novemeber 12. How do I keep from stressing nd from my husband stressing..... Its his first baby and a boy at that ....
    Sweetie1202

Answer by Sweetie1202 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• more stress is just going to make everything worse. just keep telling your self that its going to be fine and the doctors will handle it. my doc told me that the babies kidney was too big but 4 weeks later they are the perfect size. it may have been that the fluid didnt drain that day or something minor. relax and just be glad that they found it sooner rather than later. im sure everything will be fine whatever the answer will be. its the 21st century doctors can fix anything! lol
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 10:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2008