How long does it take for a antibiotic(SP?) to start working?

I am 28wks pregnant and the nurse gave me a nicro-something antibiotic(SP?) for a UTI and she said once it started to work it would take away some of the pain that i have been having. How long does it normally take to start working when you are only suppose to take it for a wk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It depends but usually within about 24 hours, with strepp throat it only takes about 12 hours before you notice that you start feeling better.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 6:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Usually 24 Hours
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:18 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Usually about 24 hours. Push alot of fluid. That should help you feel better. My dd is 27 weeks, and is getting over an UTI. Her Doc. told her yesterday to drink at least a gallon of water a day.
    zachsmom900

Answer by zachsmom900 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• You should start to notice considerable difference after 1 full day of being on the antibiotic. Are you maybe on Zithromax? That is usually the 5 day coarse, but usually the antibiotic that they give you for a UTI when you are preggo is Macrobid, which is 10 days. If you are on Macrobid, you will not feel any noticeable difference for about 48 hours. Try drinking LOTS of cranberry juice, as well as taking cranberry pills, and drinking non-caffeinated teas, particularly raspberry. The more you drink the quicker it will flush the infection from your urinary tract. I am sorry that you are hurting, you can also try taking just some Tylenol to help ease the pain.

smilinghug

Answer by smilinghug at 6:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• they wont let me take the cranberry pills and i have been on it for 4 days and im still having sharp pains in my back and my down there area.
    Anonymous