Do you think obese people

are draining our health care system with illnesses they could avoid?

are their poor parenting habits hurting our children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet, they are almost 200 lbs at 10 they will have diabetes and certainly have many health problems they already do. They both can not run far without being put of breath hell the kids can not walk up the stairs without having to catch their breath! Their Dr already said if they don't loose weight they will have diabetes it runs on both sides (these are my step sons by the way)
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• ya know some of these people can't help it. They have certain medical conditions, such as Lupus or thyroid issues, that simply balloon them up and they can't do much about it. Its easy to judge when you don't know all the facts about something and just see "fat person = too much fast food" which may be some cases, but not all.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:13 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Obese people are poor parents too?

Wow, judgement...

A kid at my daughters school is overweight and his Mom is a personal trainer....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:15 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My daughter can probably be considered obese but she is healthy as a horse, but only because she is still young. There was no poor parenting on my side, I have always been an exercise buff! and have passed along those habits, and the habits of eating healthy as well...

Answer by older at 9:18 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Just because they are obese does not mean they have poor parenting habits. Nor does it mean they are all draining the healthcare system. I am obese but my children are not. They are extremely well disciplined. They are commonly referred to as "the best children I have EVER been around" by others. My children eat veggies, fruits, etc and ask for stuff such as that for dessert. :)

I do not go to the doctor unless I HAVE to. The last time I did I had strep, before that I was pregnant.

:)

As far as those that choose to ride in the skooter chair int he grocery store rather than walk.... they aggrivate the shit out of me.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:15 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• The boys will have diabetes

they may and they may not....being FAT doesn't make one a bad parent. Being a bad PARENT makes one a bad parent

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well, I think everyone with poor health habits drain the health care system-but I can not point a finger- I love higher risk sports and so do my kids- they do have a potential for injury and I could in fact use "more than my share" of health care dollars if we are injured. I am healthy in that I eat right, I exercise regularly- but oh how we love to ski and climb.....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I am obese (working on that though) and the last time I went to the dr. was 2 years ago and I had an ear infection which had nothing to do with my weight. In fact, the dr. told me that if all his patients were as healthy as me, he would be out of a job. There are people of all "sizes" draining the health care system, not just the obese ones.
    Maryellen

Answer by Maryellen at 9:29 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well I know one mother personally who is draining the medical system for herself and her two children. Her sons are 5 foot and weight almost 200 lbs. They are 10 years old. She was telling me that she bought a family sized package of pork chops which has 8 in it and only got 2 and the boys ate 3 each plus veggies and rice. She was just telling me that they ate cake frosting 3 cans of it. She buys it and she eats like that so they do. The boys will have diabetes if they don't stop they already are obese and so is their mother and honestly I think it is abuse and more so it is disgusting! I am overweight don't get me wrong. I am not obese but yes overweight and i am not saying they are disgusting for being fat I am saying eating that way is disgusting.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:22 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• "poor parenting habits hurting our children" Seriously????

How does the fat lady next door hurt YOUR children. Does she sit on them?!?

Obesity makes me sick - but that's my problem. I'm not skinny, I'm flabby everywhere.
    Are they a drain? Probably but no more than anyone else.

If you pee your pants you take a pill that causes all kinds of other problems that's a drain on our health care system. You can say "Well I can't help that" Having kids causes a weak bladder, if you didn't have kids you wouldn't pee your pants at age 40 - are you causing a drain on our health care system??
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2010