Have any of you seen Waiting for Superman?

Up until last year, I was a high school English teacher and I'm wondering what you all think about the movie Waiting for Superman. I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard it's very controversial and puts a lot of blame on teachers for the downfall of American education. What are you thoughts on the movie and its message? Do you agree?

jacksmom1225

Asked by jacksmom1225 at 9:27 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think its all on the teachers. Other school levels, home life, peers, society, and media play a role as well
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I think it was a good movie but there was not enough in it to explain why schools in failing neighborhood fail- schools are a partnership and recently only the teachers have been put on the hot seat. We would get further, faster if we all faced up to ALL of the factors surrounding failing schools.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:30 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I haven't seen the movie. I don't put the blame on teachers though. I believe the unions and the Department of Education are the biggest parts of the problem.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Nope
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Politicians. Department of education. Unions. Administrators. Teachers. Parents.
    IMO, in that order.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• In my area they are filming a movie in response...Public education CAN work and my dd's elementary school may be featured

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:48 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Sweet-akins - just out of curiousity, where is the movie being filmed?
    jacksmom1225

Comment by jacksmom1225 (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• i am a teacher and cannot wait to see it. reforms come from the top down. teachers are fired when they cant get kids to pass the tests so change that and you will see change. i am taking a masters course on 21st centry skills (What our kids will {skills} need in 20 yrs) and i have to say that the system needs major change. if you took a doctor from 100 yrs ago and dropped him in the OR he would be lost, but you could drop a teacher from 100 yrs ago in the classroom and with some minor help with online attendance and gradebooks - she could do that job... it is really pretty sad. my child does alternative schooling (montessori)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• if you took a doctor from 100 yrs ago and dropped him in the OR he would be lost, but you could drop a teacher from 100 yrs ago in the classroom and with some minor help with online attendance and gradebooks - she could do that job... it is really pretty sad.

Are you kidding me? Teachers must have continuing education credits to stay current with the DOE- there has been so many advancements in education with how kids learn that a teacher from 100 years ago would be LOST. Brain research, best practices, and other advancements are all part of education and they have all come a long way. We teach totally different now than we did even 10 years ago- I am surprised that an educator you do not know that.... wow!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

•  

Sweet-akins - just out of curiousity, where is the movie being filmed?

In PA

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:47 AM on Oct. 30, 2010