Do these parents really care?

If you goto a fast food restaurant more than once a year, do you really care about their health?
how about if you prefer to sit on the computer and let your child watch cartoons most days, do you really care about their physical activity?
If you goto work and use school as a form of childcare and are less involved. Do you care about their education?

Some say its judgemental. Sure. But doesn't America need a reality check?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They do care, they are just lazy.

Answer by older at 9:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Oh please.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• in moderation and once a year to a burger place isn't going to hurt anyone, thats almost nothing.

not all kids are physically active people and forcing them to do so only results in frustration for everyone. If they aren't into sports, they just aren't but I will make em go on walks with me to at least do something.

care about their education or I wouldn't have taken the time to research and get them into a special ed program that helps Autistic kids.

What I think America needs is to educate themselves and not judge people and assume everyone fits some one-size fits all model without learning all the facts first.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• As far as obesity in children goes, if you look at school menus, they are not very healthy in themselves. So going to a fast food place more than once a year should be child abuse, eh? Are you this concerned about the kids that are beaten and sexually assualted, or is it worse for the kids to be fat? Maybe we should try to focus on real issues and let people parent as they see fit.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Wow.

I won't be judged for getting my kids a burger on occassion. Most of our meals are home cooked from scratch. My boys enjoy a REAL breakfast each morning and a well packed lunch.

I won't be judged for "sitting at the computer". I rarely watch tv and the short amount of time I actually spend online is downtime for me. My kids are limited to what they may watch on tv and when.

I won't be judged for working while my children are in school. My work insures they will have a college education and dh and I will be prepared for retirement/old age. It is called personal responsiblity.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Really? There is no single approach to parenting, all children are different. Assuming that parents are unfit because they do things differently is judgmental and single-minded.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:36 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Scuba. why are our school so far behind other nations? Lazy parents?

3 words............ DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION Oh, and then of course there is the fact each country does their own testing reporting and nothing is standardized globally to really get an accurate picture.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:47 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Oh man! You're right! I should go pick my kids up from daycare RIGHT NOW, go home, not work and allow my bills to go unpaid! Then my kids can not have a home, no water, no electricity, no food, etc!

Outstanding idea!

*Standing Ovation*
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:56 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well, let's see.

I ate fast food on occasion as a child, watched TV daily, and went to school. My parents were the best and most caring parents I've ever known.

My son is only 13 months old, so he doesn't do any of those things yet, but I'm willing to bet that at some point, as he gets older, he'll eat fast food, watch cartoons, and go to school. I care about and love him more than anything, and I'm a great mom. And no, I do not need a reality check. Do you?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• parents are not the root of everything, OP/Anon.

there are also teacher, other school administrators, peers, society, media and everything else they are exposed to on our little mudball. Not just the parents. Parents can only do so much, but kids do make their own decisions that sometimes we have no control over since we are not their 24/7. You can't pin everything on 2 people - mom & dad
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2010