Can't put 5 month old down

So, my 5 month old son kind of cries, fusses whenenver I put him down. Sometimes he's fine for a minute and then he'll fuss and then start yelling ya know until I pick him up. Now, I am a SAHM and my husband travels a lot. I don't want my son to be spoiled. How long should I let him fuss for? Will he stop? I try to give him a couple minutes so he doesn't expect me to always pick him up... need some tips from experienced moms.

FACMom

Asked by FACMom at 6:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Invest in a sling....I recommend the Moby wrap because its super comfy and doesn't hurt your back. Your baby just needs to be close to you at this age. You will not spoil an infant by holding him "too much." Babies that have their needs met consistently are more secure and independent later on, and you won't have to deal with a super clingy baby as he gets older. It won't be long before he's upwardly mobile and will be too busy exploring his world and getting into everything to LET you hold him! You'll miss it...so enjoy it. It doesn't last forever:)
    Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 11:08 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Give him some toys to play with. Sit with him for a while til you notice he is content with his toys. Keep doing this so he learns to play with his toys and not depend on you lugging him around. It just sounds like he loves his mommy and whats her to hold him is all :). Try the toy thing and see if it works GL
    Anonymous

• My son is six months old and I have the same problem. I try everything from toys to turning on cartoons for him. Nothing really helps. Lately I have been just letting him fuss a little because I know nothing is wrong with him. It is the only way I can try to get something done. My mom says when he gets a little older and can entertain himself better it will stop. Good luck if you find something that works please let me know.   

myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Meeting the needs of an attached baby now will make for a secure child later.

I know this phase all too well, and one of the best ways of dealing with this is investing in a good ring sling, wrap, or mei tai carrier and use babywearing. Baby gets the comfort needed and mom has her hands free to go about her daily routine. I would have never made it without my sling!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 6:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• get a sling??
    At 5 months you can hardly spoil a baby. They still need their needs met, and it'll make for a more secure baby.
    I wouldn't worry about "spoiling" until the baby is 2ish, and you can tell for sure that they are just trying to get attention, ect.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 8:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My son is almost 6 months old (in a few days) and he acted like that a few weeks ago, then he started liking his johnny jump up and he dont cry any more.
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 8:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Get a front pack or sling. Babies that are secure that their needs will get met will end up being less clingy. Wear your kid around so you can get stuff done and he'll get a new perspective!
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I might check out Moby wrap because the reason I don't wear my baby now is that he weighs over 18 pounds and its a back breaker to have him on me or held for long periods of time.
    FACMom

Answer by FACMom at 8:38 AM on Oct. 31, 2008