Who is to blame in America?

For the poor quality of education in America?

Parents?
Teachers?
Media?
Other Children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• All of the above. When I was in school if we got in trouble at school. Our parents would always support the decision of the teacher. Regardless of whether or not you agree with a rule, it's the rule and it needs to be followed. I watched a local newscast regarding a dress code change. Students have to tuck their shirts in unless the design is intended to be worn out. One mother was going to homeschool rather than make her son follow the rule.

Teachers in my area teach students to do well on standardized tests. It's how the curriculum is designed. That's how students are judged, by the number they score on the tests. Unfortunately our children have learned to expect things just because they exist and a pat on the back or a "good job" means nothing. I'm generalizing of course.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 10:07 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• You forgot the government.

I think they're all to blame, in varyiing degrees.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 9:52 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I think parents have a big load on this one but all of it is their fault. There are a lot of teachers out there who just don't give a damn, and give the ones that do a bad name.

Answer by older at 9:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• parents, teacher, school admin, peers, society pressures, media....the kids themselves.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I agree with LadyCash.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I think it depends, some kids just make it hard on everyone... some teachers just don't care, and parents too.
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:56 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• We all are. In fact, we are all to blame for all the problems in this country. Sure, we can point fingers, but it comes down to the fact that as Americans, we have gotten apathetic, complacent, and most of us have just pretty much shut it all out, instead of trying to address problems as they happen, and do something about them before the molehill becomes a mountain. When it does become a mountain, then we just wring our hands, wondering who's to blame. It's a vicious cycle, and we are all caught in it. What to do about it? I wish I knew.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 9:58 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• How is your part of Asia any different, OP? Educate us fat, lazy, weak minded Americans who somehow are the world's super power.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Oct. 29, 2010