Help, MIL is flipping out because we don't want he watching our son and we don't know what to do!

My DH and I are moving this weekend, so we arranged to have our one and a half year old son watched by my MIL so that he wouldn't be a hazard. However, MIL called this morning to let us know she had spent last night in the ER with DH's 16 year old brother, whom she thought had an appendicitis. He doesn't, and now he's at home resting with his continuing stomach pains. We told MIL that since we aren't sure what brother has, and if it's contagious, we aren't sure we want him staying the weekend. She had a fit, told us it obviously wasn't contagious and that she wants her grandson. I'm not sure I'm comfortable sending him over, and I'm sort of feeling like she's just thinking about herself and her selfish desires instead of her grandchild and his health. Am I overreacting? What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Relationships

• no I wouldnt want my son sick
    Anonymous

• NO your not overreacting....just find someone else for the weekend and tell her when you BIL is not sick she's welcome to have the baby then. :)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 6:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• It's your child you do what you feel is right.... your MIL will get over it!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• You don't need to have these extra worries during a stressful time. Do what you want, and she will calm down.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• ITS YOUR CHILD NOT HERS AND YOU AS THAT BABIES MOTHER NEEDS TO DO WHAT YOU FEEL IS BEST FOR HIM PERIOD, MY MOM TELLS ME ALL THE TIME ITS YOUR BABY YOU NEED TO BE THE ONE LOOKING OUT FOR HIM.
    Anonymous

• Been there, but really you are the mom and you make the decision.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• have you husband tell her no, he's not comfortable with it. maybe take the angle of - what if the 16 yo gets sicker and needs to go to the ER again, it would be difficult with the baby.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 6:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Your bab;y, your decision.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 8:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I've been in situations like that. She's being selfish. NO one with any sense would send their child over to a house with a sick person in it unless they where there and could keep that sick person away. Just say you've made up your mind and if she complains end the conversation immediately. She's not in charge you are and she needs to know that.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 8:49 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• You could either tell her what you are feeling, and she will have to respect your opinion... or else tell her that you don't want the little one bothering the sick 16 year old (after all, kids can wake up at all hours), and that you have another plan. Either way, if you don't want your baby there, don't give in. :-)
    sarah_smile

Answer by sarah_smile at 9:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2008