Have you ever come up with a great baby name, but are afraid to share it because people might steal it?

I know it's silly, but when I was preggo I might not have been thinking totally rationally. We didn't tell anyone what we were naming our son until he was born because we knew so many pregnant women. We were afraid of naysayers too of course.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Baby Names

• We didn't tell people the name we chose, and that was ONE reason. We've had family members 'take' names they knew someone else was interested in using, and that's happened to at least one friend I can think of. Another reason not to tell is if you have very negative people in your family who seem to dislike every name suggested, it's a little harder to complain about a name once it's already attached to the baby. I'm sure some people would say things either way, but you get less negative opinions that way. I swear one person in our family said "I don't know what names I like, but I can tell you what name I DON'T like." when asked for baby name ideas early in my pregnancy. A third reason is that we were pretty SURE of the name, but we wanted a chance to change our minds, so the less people who were set on the name before he was born the better, just in case we saw him and decided on another name.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• No, names aren't property unless you copywrite them...LOL
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I will never tell anyone names i have in mind even when i'm not pregnant anymore because of people stealing names. I told my sister names i liked and she went and stole them. I told her that if we were to ever have a girl that jena was a name i was considering and she named her daughter jena. Also, i told her i wanted to use leavelle as a middle name for a child because of my MIL's maiden name. my sister named her daughter...Jena lovelle. I was more than pissed!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• No, not really that but no one I knew was preg. I didn't tell cause I didn't care of what their opinion was and didn't want to hear it.
    Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Musicmom took the words right out of my fingertips.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I like classic names and have never wanted to be a part of the fad of creating a baby name. So no, I never had any worry that someone would steal my name because the names I did choose are pretty much community property IMO. The only person who had any issues with us choosing the name Gabriel for our youngest was my mom, and she quickly changed her tune when she saw how much it suited him. She didn't like it, but she didn't beat me over the head with the fact.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I thought it was an honor to name a child after another person. A girl on cm was looking for middle names for Karter and I told her my son was going to be named Carter Alan. She used it and I was flattered . Our babies were born about a week apart.
    hopinforanother

Answer by hopinforanother at 11:17 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• when i was pregnant i shared my name with a girl on Cafemom that already had a name picked out and was due 3 weeks before me. then all of a sudden she wasnt talking to me and when her daughter was born she anounce the name i picked was her daughters name and that they both were doing well , i was soooooo mad becaus my rule of thumb is if i know more then 3 people with the name i like i need to pick something else, so i chose another name for my daughter and im so happy i did. ill never do it again!! lol
    ps. most people know sombody they didnt like with that name, or knew somebody who knew somebody that was a jerk with that name so on and so on lol good luck!!
    s_toman7

Answer by s_toman7 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I've shared all of my baby names. I'm not afraid of anyone stealing it. Most of the names I've used are kind of common anyways. Especially the names I have picked our for my second child, but they're all family names.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2010