Some war vets disillusioned with politics after their experiences, thoughts?

The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are taking a back seat to jobs and the economy as political issues in the midterm elections. A poll released in August by the Pew Research Center found that only 59 percent of registered voters rated Afghanistan as a very important issue compared with 90 percent who said the economy was very important.

But for some who have served in those conflicts, wartime experience is driving their political views. Interviews with dozens of active-duty and retired service members who fought in Afghanistan and Iraq show a diverse response in terms of politics and activism.

Many say they have withdrawn from politics because of their wartime and postwar experiences. Others find themselves in the center of today's political battlefield.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It doesn't really take a war vet to become disillusioned in all that crap. Hell, I've never been in a war, and I am disillusioned.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I'm answering this anon because I'm respecting my dad's privacy.

My dad served for over 20 years, including time in Afghanistan, Somalia, and Iraq. He is VERY disillusioned with politics and politicians. He loves his country, right or wrong, but there's not a world leader out there that he can stand. He looked me in the eye and told me he'd do everything in his power to make sure his kids and grandkids NEVER serve in a war, because you never completely come back.

(Yes, he has severe PTSD.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I'm a vet but I never paid much attn either way to politics. Unless I have some control over it I just go with the flow.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:31 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My husband is a veteran of the Vietnam war. He has been disillusioned for many years with politics. As you know, most of those vets,when they came home were treated like crap. He shared a story with me years ago to show just how bad it was. When he came back to Lubbock, he used his vet's benefits to go to college at Texas Tech. On the first day of class, he went into one room, and it was full. The professor came in, asked how many were vets. He and about 15 others raised their hands. He then asked how many were from Vietnam. The same raised their hands again. He told them not to bother coming back to class, because they all automatically failed! Of course that is illegal, but they couldn't get him fired, because he had tenure,and knew he could get away with it. The best the college did was put them in another class. It is nauseating that they were fighting for that jerk's right to treat them that way.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 10:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My father served in WWII and he was very passionate about politics. AND about never having another American have to go to war. He cried when we bombed Baghdagh( where is spell check?). He knew this war was a war we can never really win. I am glad he is no longer here.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101029/ap_on_el_ge/us_veterans_politics

Ahn re-engaged in the political process by volunteering for Vets for Freedom, which advocates for military success in Iraq and Afghanistan, and he eventually held a paid position as director of operations through 2009.

Vets for Freedom initially endorsed 10 "pro-victory" veterans running for Congress — all Republicans — but last week endorsed their first Democrat of the 2010 election cycle: Rep. Jim Marshall of Georgia.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I guess it's not enough to make those Libs get those ballots out to our service men on time.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

Hug your Dad and thank him for all of us

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• The vets are the ones who put their life on the line and see the truth when they get there. We need their votes and we need them to speak out!!

We are all disillusioned seeing how our Government is working, both parties give us dumb and dumber to vote for this how we end up in wars we should not be in. The war is only about money and power. It has NOT A THING TO DO WITH KEEPING US SAFE!!!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My hubby has gotten more into politics since he has been home. That might be because he has gotten older too. Who knows.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2010