MIL issues...

So my MIL is kinda crazy. Well I shouldn't use the term crazy, but we dont' get along...and honestly most of the time she doesn't even get along with my dh. However she feels left out because I don't want her to be the baby alone. I always try to scrape up an excuse why she can't watch him. Should I just be upfront but polite and explain that I don't feel comfortable? I don't want to hurt her feelings but for the baby's saftey I just can't allow it!!

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• i guess i would say that - if you say you dont feel comfortable with babys safety and she would know what you mean and the reason why its ok to say that , if you think she wouldnt know the reason why i wopuld say --oh i have a baby sitter for when i need it ok.
    nothing i could say to my own mil would be right without causing major problems so i just say i have a baby sitter when i need one thanks.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I think it would be hard to be upfront but polite in this situation. She will probably be offended if you try to explain it to her. I would just keep doing what you are doing and let her think your a nervous new mommy. I actually was a nervous new mommy and my family knew and finally had to just accept it. They could hold dd and play with her when I was around, but I didnt leave her and go out of the house. My mom has a drinking problem too, so there was no way I even felt guilty about leaving my dd with her...good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• no crazy fits the bill here. Control freak, as well. Mine's not a good person at all. She may have been at one time, but she's not now.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Why don't you feel comfortable? she did raise your husband didn't she and he lived right? what is it about her you feel uncomfortable with?

Answer by older at 10:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well she doesn't understand why he can't eat certain things. Like cow's milk and yogurt (he's 5 and 1/2 months) she also doesn't understand the whole car seat thing :)
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Thats a good idea! It's just hard because I don't wanna cause I fight but personally I think she's got some Alzhemeirs or something setting in. She says some werid stuff sometimes. Like really werid. And I'm not trying to make fun...its sad.
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2010