Should a child be in fear of their parent?

My son is in fear of his father, no matter what he does his father spanks him and/or squeezes his head & speaks horribly to my son. The teacher's/ principal know & hear this in his voice & feel my child needs that. But it doesn't stop my son from misbehaving, I have video that my son does things right in front of his father & has no respect for him. I don't condone spankings, unless it is to save him from a mistake he will never beable to fix; ie: playing w/guns, knives, fire...life threatening, that is the only time. My son was diagnosed with autism, b/c he doesn't look like he has something wrong with him. (who says you have to look retarded, in order to be treated with compation & patience?) I haven't seen a autistic child look like there is a mental disability. I can't stop these people, they talk to the parent that tries to fight for their child like your in the wrong too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• No, NEVER. That's not a functional parent-child relationship.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If he has autism,he may not realize what he's doing is naughty. Many have little to no impulse control. Its VERY wrong to punish a special needs kid this way.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Fear will never be effective in discipline.

Answer by older at 10:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I think a child should have RESPECT for their parents, not fear them.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• That's abusive. Fear of punishment or a parent's reaction, which really to me means just having a conscience and knowing something is wrong before its done, not a fear of being harmed physically or emotionally can be okay for a child without mental issues. But it rarely seems a parent who wants to instill fear has any concept of the difference between having a child fear repercussion rather than the parent him/herself. I wouldn't have any respect for someone who squeezed my head when I messed up, either.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If he's autistic, spanking won't do ANYTHING. Talk to his doctor and a behavioral therapist and see what you ALL can do to help this behavior.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:59 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If the child really is autistic then physical discipline and fear will NEVER work. I think you need to get DH and yourself to talk with a behavioral therapist or somone who specializes in autism about how to discipline the child.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• NO WE ARE THERE TO PROTECT AND KEEP THEM NOT TO MAKE THEM FEAR US AS PARENTS!!!
    LACEY122

Answer by LACEY122 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If the 'fear' is a respectful 'fear' it's ok. Even in the Bible it says we are to fear the Lord.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 3:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• A child should fear the WRATH of the parent but not the parent .
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 31, 2010