Does anyone know if all flu shots are H1N1/Influenza combo? Just saw a question about this.

I saw a question about this and was wondering. I googled it and couldn't find much info. My son (3) goes for his flu shot next week, but I don't want the H1N1 . Can I just get the plain flu shot?

We didn't do the H1N1 shot last year because it was new and had only been out 2 weeks when we went in. I want to wait and see the side effects for a few years, before they put it in my son.
Does anyone know about this? Can he just get a flu shot? I really want as much info as possible before we go in. And yes I'm calling the Dr.s office, but it takes a while for them to retuen non-emergency calls.

cassey.e

Asked by cassey.e at 10:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Kids' Health

• it's a combo. They told me that when my daughter got the flu shot,
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It's a combo. My kids already got it. Anyone under age 9, need s2 doses of it. Ask when you go.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:48 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• H1N1, H2N3, and Influenza B.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It's a combo... because H1N1 is one of the circulating strains, it's just part of the shot. However, it's not anymore 'new' than an average flu shot.. the strain is different every year anyhow depending on what they expect to circulate.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My daughter didn't need 2 dose of it. She only needed 2 doses of it when she first got the flu shot and first got the H1N1. This year when she went, she just needed it once.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Combo shots here too.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 10:59 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• They consider H1N1 to just be one of the strains of the flu this year and it is in all shots as far as I know. They only put 3 strains in the shots and they guess at what strains are going to be the main ones circulating and that is ALL you get protected about which is part of the reason we don't get them at all. They are also starting to say that everyone needs two doses every year. Not sure how mainstream that is yet, but I have seen many articles about it this year.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:12 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes, it's in the regular flu shot this year. There's info on the CDC and AAP websites. Here's some info our pediatrician has on their website:
    # This year there is only ONE flu shot. There is no need for a separate H1N1 flu shot. The 2010 seasonal flu vaccination includes the H1N1 strain.
    # For those children under 9 who have not received flu shots in the past or both H1N1 shots last year they will need 2 shots one month apart this year.
    Good Practices to Avoid the Flu:
    1. Teach your children to wash their hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds.
    2. Teach your children to cough and sneeze into a tissue or into the inside of their elbow.
    3. Children who are sick should stay home from school and daycare and stay away from other people until they are better.
    4. Call the doctor's office if your children have symptoms that are similar to the regular flu
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes, from what I understand they are this year. I received mine towards the beginning of September this year along with my son (17) and neither of us has had any problems or side affects. Last year was my first time getting the flu shot period and it was the first time that I went all year without being sick.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• They all have it. Ask for the vaccine insert, preferably BEFORE you go, so you really have a chance to look over what's in it and what the risks are.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:47 PM on Oct. 29, 2010