how bad is a 2nd c-section?

I have no anxiety about having another baby or having two kids under 2 but the thought of a second c-section makes me actually want to throw up! My first c-section came after a failed attempt to induce and being sent home. then my water broke and 27.5 hours later I was rushed for an emergency c-section. My epidural stopped 3 times and needless to say I wasn't numb on the table so they knocked me out. I woke up when they were stapeling me and my husband says that I just started screaming and they knocked me out again. It was an awful experience and I am so scared to go through it again. I thought about switching drs and hospitals but it's the only place in our area and I already have to drive an hour to get there! please help me...how can I calm down about this?? How bad is it going to be??

randibosin

Asked by randibosin at 11:06 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Oh, I'm sorry you do not have a supportive care provider. It is wrong of him to scare you into a c-section. Many women around the world give birth to "big" babies all the time. 2 of my VBAC babies were over 10 pounds after a 7 pound c-section baby.
    Momma, you can have a VBAC!!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience the first time... I had a c-section with my son too, but nothing as traumatic as yours. I'm currently pregnant with my second, and I'm actually planning on doing a VBAC. Is there any reason why you can't do the same? The only thing I can say is, if you DO have to have a planned c-section, it won't be nearly as bad as your first experience, since they'd probably be able to get the epidural working correctly, and you'd be awake through the whole thing... But you might want to discuss with your doctor what exactly the best plan of action would be. Good luck!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 11:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I think your 2nd c-section will be much easier since it will be planned. I'm sorry you had to go through that with your first one. Personally, I would really try hard to find another doc. Good luck!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I'm sorry I dont really have an answer for you but I can share my c-section stories, maybe it will help

#1: I was in labor for 22 hours in the hospital for 10.  After1 1/2 hours of pushing my DD's heart rate started to drop and she got stuck in the birth canal.  I was rushed into an emergency c-section.  They had me on so many drugs that I dont remember the entire procedure.  I kept falling asleep and waking back up again.  Everything went smooth with the operation though.

#2 was scheduled.  Went in got the epidural and the procedure went off without a hitch.  I was awake and coherant the entire time and my DS was born with no complications. Recovery was longer because it was only 10 months between the two surgeries.

The only thing I can think of is talk to your doc about the last time and about your fears for this time.  I'm sorry you had a bad experience. 
    Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 11:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I am going in for my second c section as well. And while I had and amazing expirence compared to you besides the reason I had an emergency c section I was frieghtened about it too. I was scared that since my first time recovery didn't hurt that I was going to be in tremendous pain and what not. But I have heard from tons of different people that your second csection is sooo much easier then your first.
    DeegansMomma08

Answer by DeegansMomma08 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I was going to go for a VBAC but this baby is above average big. My dr said since I had a plm with an 8.2# baby that if this one keeps growing at this rate that I most likely will end up in a c-section anyways. I will try and talk to my dr about all these fears but I guess I'm nervous that he's going to tell me that I am overreacting or being to worried for no reason instead of trying to ease my feelings.
    randibosin

Comment by randibosin (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• really?? Part of the reason I had a c-section is because she was face up instead of face down. She couldn't tuck her chin in to come down the birth canal. What about the dangers of a VBAC??
    randibosin

Comment by randibosin (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2010