Help me!!!

Ok so, I don't normally ask for advice because I am pretty good at handling it on my own but, I am going CRAZY!! I have potty trained 4 children without huge issues including my 20 month old. I am stumped with my nephew. He will pee in the potty (most of the time) but, he will not poop in the potty, ever. When he does poop it is like really thick and kind of hard. He doesn't even tell me after he is pooped in his pants he will stay in it until I notice it and if I ask he says he didn't poop when he clearly did. He will be 3 on December 6. I hate hate hate changing diapers especially poopy ones. HELP!!

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 11:18 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• WOW.. sounds exactly like my 4 year old ds!!! He's been peeing in the potty like crazy, but he will NOT poop!!! BUMP
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My doctor told me for boys, it is a lot harder. Actually getting them completly potty trained before 3 is amazing! Good Luck.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well, sometimes boys are more difficult to potty train than girls. My son was almost 3 and a half before he was potty trained. And it took him longer to poop on the potty. Be patient.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:22 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• maybe he is having constipation or it hurts him to push - I know with Max we had to have a cushioned potty seat in order for him to start pooping because he told me the other one was too hard and it seriously made all the difference.. good luck..!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yea, we have a cushioned potty chair, he has been given a regular child laxative and that gave him diarrhea. I asked my sister to take him to the doctor but, she works a lot, he is on medicaid so the wait t the clinic is like 3 hours. I will not take him myself so, he can't go to a doctor.

matthewscandi

Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Sister's child, sister's responsibility. If he's having a medical issue, she needs to take him to the doctor. You cannot make her potty-train him, even if you have SOME luck at your house, because unless she reinforces it, AND he wants to do it, you are fighting a losing battle. My son is 3-1/2 and not trained. I agree with the poster who said for a boy to be fully potty-trained by 3 is a miracle. If you don't want to change his diapers, ask sister to find another sitter. BTW, the more you "focus" on it, the more problems he will have. Please don't make it negative for him. Good luck! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:33 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• She is trying, I think. Although I don't like changing diapers, I am not going to have her find another babysitter for him because of it. I am not showing him that I get frustrated over it. I guess I was just seeing if anyone else had issues with it. I just don't understand why he doesn't care that he pooped on himself, maybe I am just a weirdo. My 6 y/o came to us potty trained at 3 and I potty trained my 8 year old by the time he was 2.5.
    matthewscandi

Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Oh my son was the same way. He wouldnt poop on the potty. It got to the point to where I told him he could sit in his poopy pants which lead to him not pooping in his pants but in a corner. He did grow out of it though around 3 1/2 or so. If he isnt ready to go he isnt going to go. I got tired of forcing the issue and really as soon as I realized that he started going on his own. I never really worried about when I just wanted to make sure he was fully done by the time he went into kindergarden.
    Steph1499

Answer by Steph1499 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Both my pediatrician and my daycare provider told me learning to poop on the potty was harder for boys, and both also told me that it often doesn't come until after they turn 3. With my son it happened a few weeks before he turned 3. The thing that actually seemed to be the turning point for us was when one day while sitting on the potty he tooted and started laughing and then accidentally pooped; after that he realized he could do it and he put together how it all worked. Someone on Cafemom had told me to tell him to try to toot, because boys generally think that is funny.

If he is having constipation issues that could definitely be slowing the potty training process, so I would ask your sister to ask her pediatrician about that.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2010