Small dog climbing on everything - help.

I have never had a small dog before. I found a stray & we have kept it. It was well behaved for a week. Now it's a terror. We have to keep all the doors closed or it will eat everyone's things. I left breakfast dishes on the dining room table and it apparently jumped to the chair up to the table and dragged everything off and onto the carpet. It also jumps on my desk and eats pencils. He does these things when we're not around so I can't correct him. He's driving me nuts & I'm sorry I found him! Yes, we already neutered him so that isn't the issue and he has more toys than my kids!

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 11:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Pets

• Take him to obedience training. In the meantime buy a crate for when you are not home. My dogs are never left loose when I'm not there. A puppy is like a baby, you will figure out how to puppy proof your home. He's comfortable now, that's why he's being naughty! If you start crate training him he will calm down. Make sure you are walking him, playing with him, and spending time with him when you are home.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Kennel him when you are gone. Alot of people think small dogs should be treated differently than large dogs, but the fact is that they have the same instincts as large dogs. Somebody before you probably let the little guy climb all over their couch and lap. Start by not letting him on furniture or on your lap. Make sure he gets tons of excercise before you leave him alone, the more energy you burn off the less likely he will do naughty things while you are away. Try getting him a bone too.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:07 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• cage train him. Put Him I cage when you are not there. Don't forget to play with him and walk him while you are home. Give him treats when he does't jump on things.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 7:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2010