How to do Time out.

I was curious if anyone does time out and where you place your child when they are in time out. I have a 21 month old and I have just started time out and Ive been using his crib. But my Husband says that he will start to associate time out with bed and not go to sleep at night because he thinks he is in trouble. We don't have a lot of spare room in our house, so I am not sure where else I could do time out. Any one have any thoughts or suggestions?? Thank you!!!

aleigh227

Asked by aleigh227 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids go to the "timeout corner"!!
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes do not put him in the crib. Bed time is bed time only. Just pick out a a place in your home. Use the same spot every time.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• my friend they just put the child in the corner standing up. i was told by the doctor to put her in the pack and play but i rather not because i need it for when i take showers. i am a single mother.i don't want her to associate any area in being a punishment area yet. i am not sure what i am going to do with punishment yet. but i know i am going to do a reward chart when she is older for no hitting,no kicking, ect. she is at the stage now. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• We set a chair in the corner, and if he gets up the time starts over. He's usually pretty good about staying put until we tell him he can get up though. I have definitely heard that you shouldn't do it in the crib, so they don't associate their bed with time out. I have also just sat him on the floor in the corner if we're in his room when he does something or if we're at someone else's house. We use a kitchen timer and set it for about 2-3 min depending on age, so he's gotten used to the idea that he has to stay put until we get him after the bell rings. We usually ask him WHY he got a time out (or EXPLAIN again why he got the time out), and recently he's been able to remember and tell us (for ex. 'throwing things'). When he was really young, we did more distraction and took 'time outs' together if he was frustrated, like if he was mad that a toy didn't do what he liked I redirect his attention to a book or something.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I agree with your husband, do not use his bed as a punishment. We don't even use my son's room as punishment. For my son we use the steps... but you could do anywhere... just make sure it's away from the "action" in the house (like away from toys and TV) A hallway might work or a quiet room.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it! No more crib time out!!! Glad I havent been doing it for a long time. Just like a couple days. Hopefully the new time out spot on the steps will work better! Thanks again!!
    aleigh227

Comment by aleigh227 (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Crib not a good spot. Make sure you are consistent and stay with it. The child might have to be returned to the spot many times before they understand to stay there. Best not to say anything after telling them it is a time out and calmly take them back to the spot each time.
    Anonymous

• Well I myself have found that these tips have helped the most:
    1- Find one spot away from every think, a boring spot and make the the only time-out spot.
    2- If the child is 2 put the child in time-out for 2 minutes, ect. whatever the childs age is have the child in time-out for that amount of time.
    3- Be sure to ask the child if they know why they was in time-out, give them time to answer you. Ask them again if need be. If the child don't know "or just don't want to answer you" explain to the child why they was in time-out. Then be sure to let the child know that what they did is not okay & that you do not want them to do it again. Then have the child apologize and give you a hug and a kiss, tell the child that you still love them and there time-out is over.
    ~ TRUST ME IT WORKS ~
    ChekaysMommy

Answer by ChekaysMommy at 5:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• We have a small carpet square that we have our son sit on. He knows that he has to sit on the mat during his time out. I agree with your husband, I would not use the crib as a time out spot. Our time out spot is in a place away from everything, so he can't see the tv while he's there.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 10:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2010