still only 1.5cm. Labor anytime soon?

I'm 5 days from my induction date. I was induced with my 1st for medical reasons. This time the induction is b/c of her size and the complications I had with my first delivery from baby size. I really was hoping for a natural labor b.c this is our last. She is very big and high in weight. I'm miserable but my cervix is still rather thick and i'm only around 1.5cm. Should I give up hope in labor on my own in the next 5 days?? Anyone else not progress but went into labor soon anyway?

Please dont tell me to have sex, stimulate my nipples, walk, bounce on a ball, any of that. I've been doing it ALL. I'm full term and my butt even walks 8.5 miles a day while pushing my 40lb toddler in a stroller on a hill filled, rough pathway. And pls dont say she will come when shes ready. I have to be induced in 5 days either way for medical concern.

LovesHerKiddos

Asked by LovesHerKiddos at 11:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Dialation is not an indication of when you will go into labor. Unless you are progressing a centimeter per hour or two, it's normal to be dialated long before labor.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• yes i know. i've been at 1cm for 5 weeks now. But i'm asking if even though my body has yet to show signs of labor, can it still happen soon, as in.... in the next 5 days. Or should I just give up hope and prepare for my induction date. I was asking if anyone else shared the same experience as what my body is doing.
    LovesHerKiddos

Comment by LovesHerKiddos (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My friend was closed and hard at 40 weeks and went into labor the next day.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes, plenty of other people have experianced what you have -- its just not what you want to hear unfortunately! You could still go in tomorrow and be dialted to a three, but walk around for three more weeks like that (if you didn't have the induction already schedualed.) The best advice I can give if you want natural labor is -- don't get induced! Big baby really isn't a medical emergency. Its an elective induction at this point. Either don't show up for your appointment, or cancel it. If you had tons of problems with size last time, then either don't get the epi at all, or get the "walking epidural" where its at least toned down so you can still get into different positions to get the baby out better (I'm sure you already know how bad lying flat on your back is pushing out a baby!) Either way, I wish you the best of luck.
    MammaRed

Answer by MammaRed at 11:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Labor can happen any time! It can come on in a second! And if it doesn't, just revel in the fact that next week you'll be holding your baby, and how she got here REALLY won't matter!

I just wish you LOTS of luck!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It really can happen at any time. You can be past your due date, in no way dilated, and then BAM- baby. Or you can be dilated for weeks/months, never progress, and need to be induced (like in the case of my good friend). There's always a chance, but there's no way to be definite about it. Unfortunately, it's a wait and see thing. I hope you do go into labor on your own. Good luck!
    Alikins

Answer by Alikins at 11:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I was dilated a "dimple" so not even 1cm for a few weeks. And also because of baby size and my lack of even being a cm along we chose to do a c-section at 40+5, cause doctor thought that because of the the fact that my body wasn't doing anything wasn't even thinning if they induced i'd still have a c-section. Anyways the morning of the c-section at 3am I went into labor, still had a c-section because I just wasn't dilating, after 6 hours was only a cm.

Good luck. =)
    SamGames23

Answer by SamGames23 at 3:00 AM on Oct. 30, 2010