Unemployment

Does anyone know if resigning voluntarily excludes you from getting unemployment AND whether receiving federal disability excludes you from unemployment benefits??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• If you quit, you don't get.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I"m not sure about the second part,but I believe if you quit it excludes you, I may be wrong, but thats my understanding!
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If you quit you do not get unemployment benefits. You can recieve disability and unemployment at the same time.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• You quit, you don't get it. I'm not sure about disability
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:39 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If you're disabled they won't pay unemployment in most states. Unemployment insurance if for someone who is unemployed, is looking for work, and will accept work. This has to be documented. Someone on disabilty in most cases is not "employable" and has no intention of finding work and looking for work. Unemployment states if you are not available for work and actively looking, you cannot collect benefits.

Also if you resign, you get nothing.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 11:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If you leave voluntarily, you are s.o.l. DH went through it - his place of employment said he had 2 weeks to turn in his resignation or they'd fire him. He talked to a couple people and was told to stay put - make them fire him so he could get unemployment. ON the last day of the 2 weeks, they said that's it, you're fired, buh-bye. He went straight to the unemployment place and filed. His old work fought it but he won!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:46 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I live in Arizona. Not sure what state you live in. But, i am on unemployment right now. And this past Monday i had a Hearing on my case from my ex employer who contested my unemployment. The employer states that i called in and left a message stating that i resigned. When in fact, i stated that i missed my bus (I take the bus) and that i knew i was on a final and would be fired.

Anyhow, i won my case just yesterday...WooHoo!.......Anyhow, to answer your question.....It depends. If you had a reason why you could not go to work, and the reason was out of your control.....(like the bus not coming) and you knew you would be fired, Then yes you will get it!......Here's a tip for you though...Employers who fired employees just for attendance issues, and the employee has good reason for not showing up, Will still get UI!!....There has to be "Just cause" other than attendance reasons!

If you have more ?'s..contact me!
    gogogirl79

Answer by gogogirl79 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Unsure about the federal disability. You may want to contact UI and ask them.......
    gogogirl79

Answer by gogogirl79 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes, it does exclude you from unemployment.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It depends on where you live. Check with your local agency. Every place is different.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:31 AM on Oct. 30, 2010