When it's time for holiday dinners, like Thanksgiving, what does your family do?

Is it always at one person's house (like grandma) and is everyone happy with that, or do you take turns having it at different places? What works out well for you or is it a problem?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 11:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Holidays

• We have appetizers and drinks for quite a while. People chat, friends come and go. This is all while a turkey or beef wellington is in the oven, and food is being prepared. Early afternoon we sit down at a beautifully decorated table for dinner. My father says the prayer and we all dig into the deeeelicious meal my mom made. Then the kids clear the table and we bring out dessert. Then, mom and the kids do the dishes. Then, later in the evening we play board games. I love the holidays. All this while a fire is going in the fireplace.
    bvankula

Answer by bvankula at 11:52 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• we usually take turns, but it has to be at someones house who is big enough for everyone.
    but that doesnt mean only that person does the cooking, everyone cooks something. for example, on thanksigving, grandma will cook the turkey, aunt #1 will bring mashed potatoes, aunt #2 will bring corn and stuffing, i will bring dessert, etc.
    it always seems to work well for us.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• We were tired of everyone being unhappy toward us for going to other's houses. We now stay home. The best move we ever made.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:55 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• We always have it at my house, I own the biggest house of all in my family, so there is no problem, I love to cater to them.

Answer by older at 11:43 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I always have it at my house. Thanksgiving/Christmas. I have 4 children, they help and it is so much better, they have lots to do afterwards, their toys, hanging with family puting on a show.. So it is all good.

I love it that way.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• We usually go to my moms first and then to dh's parents for Thanksgiving and Christmas! We're fine with it, other than having to drive in snow storms, but NO COOKING!!! :0)
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My mom died last year to cancer. We always did the holidays at her house. Well we did them at my sisters house last year. The fair thing would be to have them at mine this year right? That probably won't happen. We will probably do our thing and she will do hers. It just depends on how well people work with each other. It can be done though without causing problems.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:48 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• We go out to eat, no cooking, no clean up, no stress!
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 11:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It is always at my MIL's. Starting to be a problem now because of her age but nothing will change this year.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:33 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• we have thanksgiving at my nana's house and do christmas as my moms house we get everybody together nobody seems to care where we are as long as were all together
    LiLMAMA421

Answer by LiLMAMA421 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2010