Potty training advice... PLEASE!!!

My 4.5 year old ds is FINALLY making progress with potty training (woooo!!) He pees practically every time, my problem is he seems terrified to go poop!! Any advice??? We GOTTA get him fully potty trained!!!

newmom28

Asked by newmom28 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Take away all diapers and pull ups. My son was also scared of pooping. It's just a fear he has to get over. We kind of forced my son to to it. It sounds terrible, but it worked.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I think pooping is tough because on toilets and potties are not a natural body position for it. Try to time potty trips so he's BOUND to poop on the potty—try to get some success. Then make a BIG deal out of his success. Call grandparents and tell them the good news (while he's in the room.) Go to a bakery and let him pick out a celebratory cupcake. Do a potty chart with fabulous stickers for every time he poops on the potty. Also, keep with the "YAY!" attitude whenever he poops on the potty for the next few months. Once he gets used to it, you can settle down with the congratulations, switch to cheap stickers on the potty chart, then in a couple months it'll be normal behavior and you can ditch the chart.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• have you tried a new potty seat.. my son would never go in the potty and we couldn't figure out why until he finally told us it was too hard for him - we bought a cushioned one and it has made such a difference.. does he have constipation issues? where maybe it hurts him to go? For the first month, Max actually got a doughnut for every time
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Try not to put too much pressure on him. I found that the more I wanted them to do it, the less they did. Make it his idea, reward him with toys, candy, whatever and take a step back. Forcing him on a time schedule will probably not work and if you are stressed about it, he will be, too! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I agree, take away all pull-ups and make him get dirty....he will not be happy being dirty...My 2 year old daughter would pee and not poop, so I just sucked it up and no more pull-ups..it only took a few times and she liked the potty...
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2010