wives tale: not getting pregnant while nursing

sooo...a woman i know (her daughter babysits my kids once in a while) is 43. she has a 21, 18 and 15 yr old. and just had a baby 3 months ago... just asked me when i got my period after my baby (mine is 17 months old) because she felt like she was ovulating. i said, well, of course you can ovulate while you are nursing, and she responded by saying "but you cant get pregnant while your nursing?" uh, yeah you can!

so i know this is an old wives tale but how many people actually believe that you cant get pregnant while you are nursing or havent gotten your period back? she didnt really believe me and said she'd have to google it.

i dont really have a question here, i was just surprised that a 43 yr old woman with 4 children didnt think you could get pregnant while nursing. do you agree with me? or whats your funniest wives tale?

acounard

Asked by acounard at 12:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Major old wives tale, but then again...they have to warn people not to have sex once their water has broken..which implies people are actually doing this! Ignorance is bliss. You hold her down, I'll tie her tubes!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Nothing shocks me any more!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I guess if people are used to hearing something they just dont think anything of it! haha, how funny though
    vvlinley21

Answer by vvlinley21 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I completely agree with you. I got pregnant with my third while exclusively breast feeding my 8-mo old...lol
    Hecate9

Answer by Hecate9 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• well remember it was probably "truth" in the days she actually had kids and we have access to more information to KNOW these things now.. you might need to help her with a LOT of things
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• You would be surprised... I was worried since my husband was home on a Emergency leave and we have sex a few times and I still havent started, (IM NOT PREGO LOL) I was worried so I wrote it in one of my baby groups on Babycenter and So many moms said oh dont worry about it you are nursing. Even though its part time you still cant get pregnant!! CRAZY what people believe. Another example my neighboor across the street. She was nursing and was told they couldnt get pregnant... well guess who got pregnant when their first son was 6 weeks!! Its amazing. Do these people not go to their 6 week checkup post
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well... I *CAN'T* get pregnant while nursing. My body is apparently incapable of it, even with my cycle back.

And there is some truth to it overall during the first 6 months for many women. Yes, ovulating without (or right before your first) cycle does happen, but it's rarer the younger your baby. So, while it is possible for some women to get pregnant while nursing early on, it's not possible for the majority.... so it's not completely a "myth"... it's just not true for everyone. There are exceptions to every rule.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• people like to belive these stories. what's that saying you play with fire your going to get burn
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I have a son to prove this totaly wrong was still brestfeedin when i was 3 months and had hard time breaking my other son but was finally able too (now my youngest says thats why he is only 5"7 and his bro is 6"2lol)
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 1:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

Nursing while pregnant is completely fine and safe (unless you are at-risk for pre term labor). Your body gives to the fetus first, the nursling second and mom last. It wouldn't jip the baby in the tummy.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2010