When is the best time to start potty training a girl?

lilsxychcica121

Asked by lilsxychcica121 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As soon as she is capable of basic communication & can follow simple directions. This is usally after the first birthday, between 14 & 18 months is typical. Girls are a lot easier if you don't wait too long to start.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 21 months and has no clue about the potty. I bought her one when she was one and still no interest. So I don't believe she'll be ready until after 2.
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 7:56 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I started inteducing the potty chair to her round 18 months. We would have her sit on her potty while we used the big potty and she would occasionaly use it and we started full force potty mode right after her 2nd b-day (should have started sooner but I was dealing with 2nd preg morning sickness) but we had her trained in a few days. Just make sure you make her go try to potty bout every 30-60 mins untill she gets hang of telling you when she needs to go. Also I found that the cloth traing pants did better for her that the pull ups. She just thought they was a diaper and that we was punishing her if we put one on her? Just stay consistant and Good Luck!!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 7:58 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• i worked in day care and i would start when they start telling u they want to potty to many parents would rush them and they would end up having to start back over because the child wasn't ready.
    drgroves

Answer by drgroves at 3:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• There is no best time - there's only the right time for your child. Just like there was no "best" time for her to learn to walk... she did it when she was ready.
    Get a good potty training book or check out BabyCenter.com. Both will have lists of "readiness" signs. If she doesn't have at least half of the signs, she's not ready.
    Remember, numerous studies have shown that parents who start earlier usually finish training LATER than parents who waited until their child was ready.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I was potty trained by the time I was 9 months old. I'm not sure how that happened, but my mom said I was very advanced for my age. Usually kids are sitting up by 6 months, I was walking (not perfectly mind you) at six months. My nephew is 4 and he isn't completely potty trained yet, so I see extremes on both sides.
    mommyoftwins903

Answer by mommyoftwins903 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• My daughter is 14 months and I'm going to introduce it soon. I wasn't potty trained until a week before I turned 4 and I hope that my daughter will be quicker than I was. She's starting to show signs now though. She pulled her diaper off once after nap time, and wet the bed, and she pulls at her diaper like she doesn't even want it on anymore. I think it's time to start. I was going to wait until she was closer to 18 months to buy a potty but I think I'm going to have to buy one real soon!!! Good Luck
    HeatherM0529

Answer by HeatherM0529 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2008