Should There Be an Age Limit on Child Safe Haven Laws?

Some states have safe haven laws for children in place (a parent can relinquish their child at a safe place like hospital, police dept, etc when they're unable to care for the child any longer). Should these laws apply to any minor child or should they be limited to infants only? Why?

OldrWizrMom

Asked by OldrWizrMom at 6:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with all of you. I read today about the law in Nebraska. Currently there is no set age in place. The issue arose when a grandmother dropped her 17 year old grandson off at a hospital. She had legal guardianship over him as he was a ward of the state. Others have come from other states & dropped their kids off in Nebraska. Sadly, Nebraska feels like a dumping ground for unwanted kids. They want to change the age limit to up to 3 DAYS old only. So, where does this leave all the other kids who get abandoned? It varies from state to state. What the heck?! No matter the age of the child, they deserve a chance to survival and to be protected by this law. Thanks for all your opinions.

OldrWizrMom

Answer by OldrWizrMom at 8:20 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I really think it should be at any age. Why should infants be the only ones allowed a safe haven?
    Anonymous

• No, I think all children should get a chance. If a mother gives up her rights obviously she cannot care for them. We should be protecting all children. If not imagine the things that could happen. Neglect, abuse, etc.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 7:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I think it's a great idea and there should be no age limit on it and it should be in effect in all states,  because the alternative would be children abandoned on the streets ,neglected ,abused and killed, that's why the safe haven law should have no age limit.

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 7:07 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• All children should have a safe haven. But I feel that there needs to be further measure for prevention of irresponsible pregnancies for financial gain. Children are not "meal tickets".
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 7:09 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I think anyone under 18 should be able to have the safe haven option, you are not concidered an adult until your 18 so why should a 16 year old be left to fin for themselves just because their parents gave up on them?
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 7:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• All children should be able to be safe. There are all ages of children who are abused and killed, they should all have a safe place.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• NC it's a limit of 9 days. (or at least it was last time I saw the safe haven poster which was a year ago)
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Any age is fine with me.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 12:59 AM on Oct. 31, 2008