Permanent tooth coming in behind the row of baby teeth??

The dental assistant I talked to said it is completely normal for the permanent teeth to come in behind the baby teeth, even if it looks weird. Has this happened to your kids, or do the new teeth take the exact place of the baby teeth they push out?

.science.mom.

Asked by .science.mom. at 12:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter had two permanent teeth come in at the same time behind her baby teeth. We just left them for a long time to see if the baby ones would get loose and come out, but they never got very loose. The permanent ones were pretty far back and starting to point toward the back of her mouth so her dentist pulled the baby teeth last week. With the baby teeth gone, her permanent teeth have already moved forward so they almost line up with the rest of her teeth and they straightened themselves out just in this short time from her tongue pushing on them.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 1:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It happened to one of my DD's teeth. But, her baby tooth was already real lose, so when she noticed the permanent tooth coming in behind it, she was REALLY trying to get that tooth out. It looked totally crooked at first, but as the tooth grew..it fit in just fine.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Not my kids, but I had that happen a couple of times. It looks funky but the baby tooth will eventually come out and it's fine.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I have never experienced it, but I have seen cousins teeth do that. And they turn out fine.
    kansasmom1978

Answer by kansasmom1978 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• This happened to me as a child as well. I also had to have my baby teeth pulled by the dentist.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 1:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yep, it happened on the front tooth, I wanted to freak out when I saw it, it also looked like it hurt but she wasn't bothered by it
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 1:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• This happened to my eye teeth as a kid. :( My baby teeth eventually fell out because the new tooth pushed it out once it came all the way in.....and I did not like it so I wiggled it often.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My son had 3 like this. The dentist extracted the baby teeth.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 3:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• not my kids but i have seen it in many students. i would say 1 in 20 kids have that with some of their teeth that i have seen.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• my daughter had two adult teeth come up behind her bottom baby teeth and only one of them was loose. once that loose one fell out, one the adult teeth started moving in its place. but it looks real odd right now bc her other adult tooth cant move in until the other baby tooth comes out. her dentist told us to leave it be and wait, that its not uncommon.
    ginnylyn

Answer by ginnylyn at 8:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2010