Any tips on an affordable family vacation to Disney World?

I have been looking up different options for a family vacation to The Magic Kingdom at Disney World. I have considered the Disney Resort with the Dining and Keys to the World package, which comes out to about $3000...(!) If I stay in Kissimmee at a cheaper hotel, it comes up to about $500, then another $950 for tickets to the park. That however does not include meals. I could get a continental breakfast from the motel and a kitchenette to buy some foods at a grocery store. We are driving there and will have our own vehicles so we don't need to worry about transportation. Anyone have any tips?

elenalee

Asked by elenalee at 12:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Travel

• I don't know how old your kids are or if they are in school, but the best way to save is go during an off peak time. Hotels and airfare are cheaper and you can get much better deals on park hopper passes and coupons for meals and attractions. You can google when the peak and non peak times of traveling to disney is and it will give you a week by week breakdown for the whole year.
    jc20089

Answer by jc20089 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Disney offers never expire passes. They're like 250, and it's a ...either 5 day or 7 day pass. If you don't know exactly when you are going, these can be a real saver. They raise their gate fees all the time, so you are guaranteed to get this price.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 1:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Also, if you are staying longer than two or three days, opt for an extended-stay hotel versus a traditional hotel. They'll have a discount for weekly (and monthly) rentals, usually have an apartment sized kitchen with a stove top and microwave and an on site laundry. There's a huge range of prices, but I usually see between 180-250 a week.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 1:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I agree with Jenny.

Extended Stay and OFF PEAK times are best to go to Otown and Disney. Residence Inn have great two bedroom hotels and a really nice kitchen, sleeping for 6. You can shop at any local grocery store from Food Lion, Publix, WinnDixie, Save-A-Lot...etc and really save on meals. Though you would splurge and PAY ALOT inside the park no matter where you dine, so remember that for lunch!!!

OH... Residence Inn... you can get FREE breakfast and its a buffet style. Real nice too. AND kitchen comes with ALL you need, plates, silverware...glasses, etc.! A home away from home!

Also stayed a week at a Extended Stay...much cheaper by far, with 2 double beds. Same but kitchen IS smaller, but its far cheaper! AND just as nice!

Good luck and have a Happy Safe trip here to Florida!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 5:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• thanks so much! thats good to know.
    elenalee

Comment by elenalee (original poster) at 2:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Please compare the prices on my site www.letsgotravel.info. I can also provide you with your own site for free that will allow you to earn 30% of the commission my company makes on your trip. Every little bit helps. If you have a certain date in mind message me and I will help you look. I get infomation on Disney packages often. I just need to know what dates you have in mind. Thanks.
    jforeman12

Answer by jforeman12 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• How many people? When would you like to leave? What are their ages of your children? How long did you want to stay?

I happen to be a Disney specialist and would be happy to assist you with your search.
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 10:27 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I know that you have a vehicle but you should still consider a Disney resort simply for the ease of convenience. Here's why?

-Disney Magical Express transportation
    -Disney resorts do meet a variety of budgets
    -Extra Theme Park Time
    -Dining option savings

there are some great pkg out depending on when you would like to vacation that will include Magic Your Way base tickets.

Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 10:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Also consider the WDW Good Neighbor hotels too that include:

-accomodations
    -base tickets
    -transportation (some hotels may charge a fee)
    -luggage tags

Hope that this helps!
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 10:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• IM PRETTY SURE IF YOU CALL DISNEY THEY CAN DO A PACKAGE THAT WILL BE IDEAL FOR YOU
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 31, 2010