How can you trust...

Paul/Saul? He wrote most of the books in the New Testament. But he never knew Jesus and only talked to God that one time while on his way home (if I remember correctly) from collecting taxes. So how can you trust him? What makes him trustworthy in your opinion?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 12:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't trust anything in the Bible as fact. It's been translated and rewritten so many times that if it ever were factual it's far gone now. Not that I believe it ever was, though.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Because God trusted him.
    kansasmom1978

Answer by kansasmom1978 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• How so Kansas?
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I've wondered about this too. Never could shake the feeling that Paul was just after the money.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I'll likely get downvoted for this, but I think Paul and Jesus' messages conflict each other greatly. The fact that he never met Jesus, and the fact that his views are not inline with Jesus, was one of the major deciding factors in my turning away from Christianity. I consider the faith to have been contaminated and twisted from what it should have been, and I place the blame on a man who persecuted Jesus until his death. And I think he did it on purpose.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Paul-Jesus appeared to him. His record is in the bible and I have found the entire bible to be trustworthy.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Because all the MEN who attended the Council of Nicaea voted and decided the Epistles of Paul were "inspired" by their god.

/eyeroll/

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Saul/Paul wasn't on the way home from collecting taxes, he was on they way to kill some Christians.

Paul was recognized as an Apostle by the other Apostles and wrote in keeping with the Gospel: "According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and another man is building upon it. Let each man take care how he builds upon it. For no other foundation can any one lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ" (1 Cor 3:10-11). Paul writes of the "meekness and gentleness of Christ" (2 Cor 10:1), his profound humility (Phil 2:5-7), and "consistently held up Jesus’ life—and his own life as modeled on Jesus’ life—as examples to be emulated" (1 Cor 11:1). All this, and more, make him trustworthy.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 2:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• MamaK88, did you not read the Wikipedia link you provided? Under, "The Biblical Canon," it states, "A number of erroneous views have been stated regarding the council's role in establishing the Biblical Canon. In fact, there is no record of any discussion of the Biblical Canon at the council at all. The development of the Biblical Canon took centuries, and was nearly complete (with exceptions known as the Antilegomena) by the time the Muratorian fragment was written, perhaps as early as 150 years before the council. Later in 331 Constantine commissioned fifty Bibles for the Church of Constantinople. Little else is known, though it has been speculated that this may have provided motivation for canon lists."

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 2:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• i dont care for Paul...at all. Jesus' message was about having a personal relationship w/ God...Paul's message was about rules & regulations that believers of Christ should follow. its like Jesus came to free ppl from the strictness and over-literal way they were currently living and Paul came and replaced that with strictness and over-literal ways to follow God. how often does a sermon focus on Jesus' words and how often does a sermon focus on Paul's words? so honestly, i dont trust Paul's letters.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:30 PM on Oct. 29, 2010