Do you make your kids keep a clean room?

Mine are 6 and 8. I let them get it messy for how ever long, then they have to clean it up. I try to have them keep it clean for a while after that.

dancinintherain

Asked by dancinintherain at 12:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I really try to. I mean that is the one thing that they really have to do around the house. It is still never done the way I like it, but as long as they really try then I am okay with it.
    Jenandrylee

Answer by Jenandrylee at 2:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Nope, I gave up fighting that fight when they hit their teens.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 12:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well my son is only 3 so right now he can play and mess all day but before bed we pick up all our toys
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• my oldest is a neat freak as is just like me.. my 2 year old would go back in his room and mess it back up! but the way i keep it clean is that i keep his door closed or have a gate up when they aren't using it..
    ourlove_asone

Answer by ourlove_asone at 1:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes ma'am, I don't let the room get out of hand though otherwise it is overwhelming to her 8 yrs. Just have them clean up after they are done playing or before bed :)
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 1:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I used to be such a clutterbug when i was younger, yet i knew where everything was. Now, i am like my mom and get on my kids (ages 3 and 1) to pick up after themselves. And it is so easy, they think it's a fun game! My daughter loves to clean especially when I tell her my husband is on his way home from work so she can surprise him, that she cleaned all by herself. You have to make a game out of it. If I let it go, I'm sure I'd find cheerios and bugs in the corners, or juice spilled in the play kitchen.
    elenalee

Answer by elenalee at 1:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I have an 8, 10 and 12 year old. The way i did it is on school days if they don't clean it in the morning they do it after homework or they can't play. On the weekends they have until 10AM or they can't play. That may soaund a bit much. I f we wash, cook, and clean everything else the least they can do is clean that one room.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My kids clean the room every day and it needs to be done before play time
    Its not just about the room I beleive it teaches personal responsibility , It teaches them to prioritize and personal organization ( which is needed in all areas of life )

Aslo make play time funner becase they dont have to search for the things they want
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Our 2 year old loves to clean up, so we are getting her in the routine of making sure she keeps her room and play area nice and neat!! The earlier the better and it never seems like a chore because she initiates wanting to do it!!
    MrsJStearns

Answer by MrsJStearns at 1:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My 5 yr old has one room to clean and that is his bed room. I have him clean his room before bed and then its done before his soon to be stepfather gets home from work. Milutary family.
    bumkins_mummy

Answer by bumkins_mummy at 1:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2010