If you are remebering your ancestors with a silent supper, what are you serving?

I've never done it before. Usually I light some white candles for my dearly beloved ancestors no longer with us.

This year I plan to place food and for my grandfather a warm Dr. Pepper. (His favorite. and yes it must be warm - lol)

Not sure what to put as food though. I am going to have it inside on our dining room table since outside, my neighbors 20 cats will get to it.

Inside though... the dogs might. So it would be best if there was no meat.

StarandAngel

Asked by StarandAngel at 1:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Holidays

• I've never heard of this before. Would you mind explaining a bit further?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Here is a great site with lots of Celtic recipes and drinks for Samhain. I hope this is what you are looking for. Traditionally it is harvest fruits and veggies, home made breads and desserts and mead or cider.

http://www.divinedinnerparty.com/traditional-halloween-recipes.html
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 5:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Never done this.
    tina30218

Answer by tina30218 at 9:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• The website was great. Basically the premise is to honor your ancestors that are no longer with us by laying a plate out for them at your dinner table. Some beleive that this is the time of the year when they can come and visit you. I do it by making food they loved and remembering them.
    I was having trouble beause this past year I lost 2 family members, 1 I was not close enough to to know what their favorite foods were.
    I decided it didnt matter what I cooked and made a family recipe (pasta with cottage cheese and sour cream) and of course the warm doctor pepper. :-)
    StarandAngel

Comment by StarandAngel (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2010