baby food second attempt

i started feeding my baby carrot baby food as his first meal he kinda frowns up but eats the food just fine my question to you is how do i know when he doesn want anymore? im not sure if hes eating the food cause it seems there is alot on his bib mind you this has been my second attempt in feeding him these carrots. as a side note both time right after feedings he has pooped is this normal? should i feed him a bottle of milk+cereal? i dont want my baby's belly to be empty.

MinnieMoni

Asked by MinnieMoni at 1:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With my child, she stopped opening her mouth when she didn't want any more.

Also, cereal in a bottle is bad. Milk is fine, but cereal should be eaten from a spoon.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• He will lose interest when he's done. Don't push him. Frowning doesn't mean he doesn't like it. Not eating it does!
    NEVER EVER put cereal in a bottle. It's a major choking hazard, and DOES NOT keep your baby fuller longer or make them sleep better. The AAP recommends against it, and any doctor that recommends it needs to update his recommendations.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• you'll still want to give him a bottle or nurse. But generally they will just start spitting it all out, moving their head away from you, and playing. Personally I don't think rice cereal should be used with milk
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 1:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I agree they usually will stop opening thier mouth.
    How old is your baby?
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I'm going to put it out there that if you are feeding liquidy mush from a jar to him and he is still getting more on his bib than in his mouth, he isn't ready to eat foods.

Read up on the Baby led weaning approach to foods. You wait until your child can sit up unassisted and can pick up soft bites and feed himself. Like soft chunks of avocado, baked sweet potatoes...

And NO cereal in the bottle. Just give him more formula in his bottle or at closer intervals.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes im sure he will move his head away, gag, or clamp his mouth so you can't get anymore food in. If your feeding him cereal, i would suggest not to put it in a bottle. Mix him some up in a bowl and feed him with a spoon. My daughter never liked the rice cereal, so i would always use fruit juices to mix it with and she loved it!
    Veronica-Lynn

Answer by Veronica-Lynn at 6:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2010