Making your own pumpkin puree

Advice? I assume you don't use carving pumpkins. What do you use? How do you cook it? How do you make it? I love using pumpkin puree, and I would love to make it myself. Thanks!

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 1:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can use carving pumpkins, but "pie pumpkins" or "sugar pumpkins" are fleshier. You can cut up and peel, and cube the flesh, then roast it, bake it or steam it, then puree it in the food processor with your favorite pumpkin spices. Note: roasted is not for everyone.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Oh,and here's a site for recipes and pie directions!

www.pickyourown.org
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It's super easy. Get yourself a pie pumpkin, cut it in half, make it fit ina microwavable container, put an inch of water in the bottom, nuke til it's very soft (about 30 minutes), puree ina blender :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Carving pumpkins make a thinner, less tasty puree - but it can be used in a pinch. You want a pie pumpkin. I cut mine in half like a squash, scrape out the guts, and lay the halves, cut side down, in a baking pan or on a baking sheet with sides. Add about 1/2 an inch of water, and bake at 350 til a knife inserted in the top slides in easily - same as a squash. Take out, let cool, scrape out the flesh, and puree - the hotter it is the harder it will be though, it will splatter more, etc. Bada bing, bada boom, you're ready to bake!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 4:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2010