• In the Spotlight:

Thoughts on co-sleeping while nursing.

Any thoughts on co-sleeping while nursing. Pro's or Con's? Experiences? When is a good time to wean if you choose to do this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

babyphillips210

Asked by babyphillips210 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I co slept with both of my daughters the whole time i nursed. For us, it was easier on both me and the baby. I will be co sleeping with this baby too, but we are going to use a co sleeper, which just goes right along your bed and anchors to the other side so it's safe. This might make the transition to their own bed easier. :)
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 1:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• we are co sleepers. Our oldest slept with us til she was 3, she loves being in her own room/bed now but we still have to get up once or twice to comfort her bad dreams. Our youngest is still in bed with us, going to be a yr Nov 10th. We love co sleeping, it does not bother us. You do have to show extra precaution while co sleeping though, it's not for heavy sleepers. Also a baby positioner comes in habdy to help ensure no roll overs. I didn't wean my oldest until she was 20 mo, when I found out I was pg again, but at that point she was only nursing at nap and bedtime, yes I was still making milk. My youngest still nurses pretty much full time. I don't push baby food on her, when we est I give her some of our food, I tgry to feed her some baby food, and if she eats she eats and if she doesn't she doesn't. She nurses plenty to make up for it. Breast fed babies eat more often than bottle fed babies though.
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 1:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I never co-slept with my son until he was like 6 months old...and even then it was an accident that ended up sleeping with me. Before he was 6 months, he slept in a bassinet next to my bed or in his pack n' play in our room. I just felt more comfortable with him in the room. Well he got really sick when he was 6 months old so I let him sleep with me in the bed so that I could keep his head propped up and easily soothe or check on him throughout the night. Well after that he never wanted to go back in his own bed. Haha so now he's 15 months old and still sleeps with me. I did nurse him until he was 13 months old and co-sleeping with him made it really easy because I didn't even have to get up. However, IMO, I don't agree with co-sleeping with infants who cannot roll over or move on their own, or sleeping with babies if you are a heavy sleeper.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I didn't co sleep with my daughter. I was too scared of one of us suffocating the baby. My husband is such a sound sleeper that he would never notice. I had times where I would fall asleep while nursing and it terrified me!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 1:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Pros when you're nursing every hour or two, it's much easier to roll over and stick out a boob than having to get up first. Con: once feedings get down to only once or twice a night, it's nice to have more room to yourself.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I both co-slept and used a co-sleeper. I was working, and needed as much sleep as possible, so it seemed like the best solution. If neither parent is drinking or on medication, the danger of rolling on top of the is minimal.
    theguiltymom

Answer by theguiltymom at 2:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• All for it. I co-slept with my son and will with any babies. BTW, co-sleeping doesn't always mean the baby is directly in your bed. You can use a co-sleeper bed or just a bassinet in the same room. I highly recommend all mom's co-sleep, especially nursing ones.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• "If neither parent is drinking or on medication, the danger of rolling on top of the is minimal."

Says "theGUILTYmom" who also uses a margarita as her picture.... heh.
    Anonymous

• LIFESAVER.

As to when to wean... no matter what you do for sleep that's always best left to the baby and has utterly NOTHING to do with the calendar. Easiest way to wean? Mom does NOTHING. They ALL wean when they are ready.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2010