Ok 1st graders , wanna talk about abortion?

The principal of a Cincinnati Catholic school has apologized to parents after Rep. Jean Schmidt (R-Ohio) discussed abortion during a speech to kids as young as 6.

Schmidt, a conservative, brought up the controversial matter while talking about the connection between moral issues and legislation during a question-and-answer period, the Daily News reported.

"Unexpectedly, towards the end of her address, Congresswoman Schmidt brought up the topic of abortion," Prinicipal Dan Teller wrote in a letter to parents, obtained by Cincinnati's WLWT-TV. "Your children may come home with questions, especially if this is a topic that has not been broached in your home."

Schmidt was addressing students ranging from first to eighth grade. The name of the school was not reported.

and some were upset that Obama wanted to say an education is important....

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That's highly inappropriate... my eleven year old has no need to know what an abortion is.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• This woman needs to resign. She went way to far with her BS. CHILDREN don't need to hear about that shit at such a young age. Her apology means nothing.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would be very upset if that was discussed to my 1st grade son. I do believe abortion is wrong and I will teach him that, but not when he's in 1st freaking grade! Abortion is hard for even adults to talk about and visualize, let alone a child! For crying out loud I swear people these days think that kids are just short, adults.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• This is just so upsetting.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 2:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would be pissed if my 7 year old came home taking about abortions!!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• WOW! I really don't even know what to say other then that!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 2:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Oh my...I don't know what I would do if my child had been there. I would have gone ballistic. I would have stormed the offices of that woman and given her an earful. The nerve!!!!!! I don't know what I would have done...
    Dogmom301

Answer by Dogmom301 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• i would be irate
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Fireeyes81, since the Principal of the school actually apologized to the parents, apparently even HE was not okay with it. So it's a catholic school, that does NOT mean subjects like that should be discussed without parental consent, and with SIX YEAR OLDS!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• That certainly showed poor judgement on the part of Congresswoman Schmidt. I'd be livid if this happened in my daughters' schools, too. This is not a topic that's appropriate to discuss with such young children.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 3:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2010