For those who are completely against co-sleeping...

Did you know that when most of us are talking about so-sleeping, we aren't always talking about having a newborn right in bed with us?

Not sure if some of you knew that co-sleeping actually means having baby in the same room.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 2:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honestly... I truly did NOT know that. :)

Learn something new every day!

I seriously always thought people meant the child was IN the bed the entire time. And I still think about 99% of the parents prbably DO mean it that way. Because when my baby was in his bassinet in our room I didn't consider it co-sleeping because he wasn't in my bed.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well, I'm not completely against co-sleeping, but I did always think it meant having the baby in bed (or in a co-sleeper attached to the bed) with you.... So good to know!

My opinion...Co-sleeping (whatever meaning you attach to it) didn't work for me, but if it works for others, more power to them! To each his/her own :)
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Okay...if you are happy with your decision, should not matter what anyone else thinks.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• hmmm....good to know. I really was always told that's when you had the baby in bed. Thanks for the update!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 2:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I always considered co-sleeping as a broad term that could mean bed sharing OR room sharing. I know women who do sleep with their newborn in the bed with them. (which scares me to death!) I love the bed side attached bassinets. I would have taken advantage of thos if my baby's rooms weren't directly across the hall...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• good to know i always thought it meant in the same bed and id be scared to do that since i roll around a lot but thanks for letting me know that there are other options
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 2:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I think this is a good point! I've often heard people use the term 'room sharing' when they had a bassinet or side sleeper too. It's confusing, but everyone needs to find what works for them in my opinion. And what works for you and your baby at one point may not continue to work too. I learned that when co-sleeping worked well for a while, but then he wasn't sleeping just crawling all over us. Had to try something else.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes, I knew. I kept my Son next to me for the first 3 months but my DH & I are snorers and the poor little guy kept waking up so I moved him into his own room at a little over 3 months & he has slept like a rock ever since. Now he snores too! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well then I guess I co-slept. lol I too assumed it meant in the same bed, but my daughters always slept in a bassinet right next to me until they were about 3 months of age. I couldn't handle them being in another room right after they were born because I was always such a nervous wreck worrying that something might go wrong in the middle of the night. Thanks for the info:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 3:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I do co-sleep, but I don't consider that to be co-sleeping at all... It's still a second bed, they aren't sleeping with you...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2010